locked
Not converting ä,ö in EmailAddressPolicy RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello all!

    I hope you can help me with the following problem, or at least point me in the right direction.

    We recently updated to Exchange 2016 CU5 and use this server with a Office365 hybrid and have problem with our Email Address Policy when it comes to the characters 'ä' and 'ö' in the Swedish alphabet, 'å' works fine!

    my test user is named as follow

    First name: test
    Last name: åäö

    when running the policy %s.%g@domain.com i get the following error.

    The address 'SMTP:aaÿ@iris.se' is invalid: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.

    the funny thing is that sometimes 'ä' works as shown above while on other users it does not and also try to replace itself to a 'ÿ'

    I have tried to use %röo aswell to replace the characters but with no luck.

    Any ideas?

    Friday, March 31, 2017 8:57 AM

All replies

  • Hi Martin,

    In my opinion, this would be a language supported issue. In exchange 2016, only the following server languages are supported and available for Exchange 2016:

    • Chinese (Simplified)

    • Chinese (Traditional)

    • English

    • French

    • German

    • Italian

    • Japanese

    • Korean

    • Portuguese

    • Russian

    • Spanish

    Details see: Exchange 2016 language support

    Best Regards,


    Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    • Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Wednesday, April 5, 2017 10:04 AM
    Monday, April 3, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Seems to be a known issue with CU5.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4019534/error-when-a-mailbox-name-includes-an-umlaut-in-exchange-server-2016

    We just change the name to the correct Spelling after the mailbox is issued.

    Monday, April 24, 2017 10:49 AM