Remote app takes 30 sec to open RRS feed

• Question

• I have an app that takes 3 sec to start on RDSH but 30 sec on Windows 7 client machine when click the shortcut (RemoteApp)

As first troubleshooting steps I did:

1. disabled A/V (no effect)

2. checked Event Viewer. An error related to Certificate appears every 8 hours

"Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to contact the active directory (0x8007054b). The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. Enrollment will not be performed."

I am using trusted certificate and SSO is enabled. What is the next troubleshooting step?

The screen shot is from French OS (just for reference. comps are with French OS)

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Monday, October 13, 2014 12:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your comment.

Sorry if you don’t have RD Gateway then it’s not applicable in your case. 

In regards to the initial error which you are facing for automatic certificate enrollment, which can cause by DNS name resolution or by network connection issue. So kindly referthis article check DNS entry. Because it might happens that due to network connectivity issue it takes several seconds delay to open RemoteApp. Please see that there is no any delay in network connectivity.

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:45 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:55 AM

All replies

• In the RemoteApp Deployment settings, Do you have Bypass RD Gateway Server for local addresses checked?

Thanks,

JB

Monday, October 13, 2014 2:30 PM
  • I don't use it.

Is the certificate error could be related to the issue?

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Monday, October 13, 2014 3:13 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

Which client RDP version using for your environment?

Initially suggest you to upgrade the client RDP version to 8.1 for better feature and functionality. 
    Update for RemoteApp and Desktop Connections feature is available for Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2830477

Which particular application you are facing slowness issue? For a test please try to publish notepad or WordPad and see whether facing same issue. If notepad\WordPad works properly then it seems that there is no problem with RemoteApp feature and might happens that issue cause due to compatibility issue between RemoteApp features.

In regards to certificate error which you are facing, this problem may occur if the Autoenrollment feature cannot reach an Active Directory domain controller. The problem may be caused by a DNS name resolution or by network connectivity issue.

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:35 AM
  • after tests I can confirm that even Word Pad takes the exact 30 second (29-31 :)  before the app appears.

When the first app is open, second starts instantly. The same as on RDS host itself.

I tried to login to RDSH with the user credentials allowed Remoteapping. And it takes about 20 sec to get a RDS desktop.

So it looks like when starting Remote App from the client machine first step on background is kind of login (ssession start). Or I am mistaken?

What are processes that are involved in getting RemoteApp appearance and what is the optimal time for starting Remote app. Should it be about instantly?

As I mentioned Word Pad starts in 30 seconds. Is it normal?

What other are experiencing when start light app, what is approximate time?

Friday, October 17, 2014 5:12 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your coment.

The login time of RemoteApp for first time it will take little more time. So it will take little time, but from 2nd login there is already active connection so time consumption is reduced. Another thing there are various factor which will affect the initial login time for RemoteApp. 

But you can try to change the .aspx file (default.aspx or desktop.aspx depending on your needs) that RD Web Access uses and verify.

Old Code
                        if ((DefaultTSGateway != null) && (DefaultTSGateway.length > 0)) {
                            RDPstr += "gatewayusagemethod:i:2\n";
                            RDPstr += "gatewayprofileusagemethod:i:1\n";
                        }
    New Code
                 if ((DefaultTSGateway != null) && (DefaultTSGateway.length > 0)) {
                            RDPstr += "gatewayusagemethod:i:1\n";
                            RDPstr += "gatewayprofileusagemethod:i:1\n";
                 }
    In addition you can refer this article for information.

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:33 AM
  • thanks for the info.

just to remind you I don't have a RDS gateway.

Would the provided code matter in my scenario?

• Edited by pob579 Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:56 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:55 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your comment.

Sorry if you don’t have RD Gateway then it’s not applicable in your case. 

In regards to the initial error which you are facing for automatic certificate enrollment, which can cause by DNS name resolution or by network connection issue. So kindly referthis article check DNS entry. Because it might happens that due to network connectivity issue it takes several seconds delay to open RemoteApp. Please see that there is no any delay in network connectivity.

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

• Marked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:45 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:55 AM
  • Thanks Dharmesh

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:47 AM