none
"Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute." I've looked through all the other answers to this on this site. RRS feed

• Question

• I turned on my laptop yesterday morning and was going about my business on facebook and such when suddenly my computer "Blue screened". Ever since then my computer takes about 10 minutes to start up, after the Windows Vista loading bar, it says "Please Wait", on this screen is where I have to wait. Then once I log in I instantly get the "Windows has encountered a critical problem..."(My computer doesnt restart, I can't even manually shut it down, I have to hold the button down on my laptop to turn it off.) even before my icons have come up, although it does take about 5-7 minutes to get my icons up. Once they are up, I can open programs and games with ease, but anything Windows related takes 3-5 minutes to open, and if i click more than once Explorer.exe crashes.

I've read that people had trouble with Messenger, so I tried to uninstall it.
    I get the following error message: "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."
    It was all working perfectly until yesterday morning.

Additional Details: My laptop doesnt register how much battery it has remaining, It wont connect to my wireless network and the sound doesnt work.
    Edit: USB Ports don't work, seems as though alot of my drivers aren't working.

I really don't want to reformat over the top of it, because I have alot of work on there that I cant lose.
    If it ends up so bad that I cant fix it without reformatting, I'm going to go to the local computer shop and buy an case to turn my hard drive into an external and just transfer all my files onto my proper external, then reformat it.
    But that is of course last resort stuff. =<
    • Edited by Ady91 Sunday, September 6, 2009 11:20 AM Adding details.
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 5:47 AM

Answers

• system restore feature from. From within Windows, you can just type restore into the Start menu search box, and you’ll immediately see System Restore at the top of the start menu:

Or you can type rstrui into the search box and hit enter. Your choice.

You will immediate see a screen where you can choose to roll back the system to the last restore point. You can select “Recommended restore”, and just click next, or you can choose a different restore point.

Note: For best results, you should run System Restore from safe mode.
    Last but not the least " full updated scan m/c for virus

• Marked as answer by Ady91 Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:00 PM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:56 AM

All replies

• system restore feature from. From within Windows, you can just type restore into the Start menu search box, and you’ll immediately see System Restore at the top of the start menu:

Or you can type rstrui into the search box and hit enter. Your choice.

You will immediate see a screen where you can choose to roll back the system to the last restore point. You can select “Recommended restore”, and just click next, or you can choose a different restore point.

Note: For best results, you should run System Restore from safe mode.
    Last but not the least " full updated scan m/c for virus

• Marked as answer by Ady91 Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:00 PM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:56 AM
  • Thanks so much, such a simple solution that I overlooked. :P
    • Proposed as answer by AshokT Friday, September 11, 2009 4:56 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:00 PM
  • please mark as helpfull,
    thanking you in advance,
    Friday, September 11, 2009 4:55 AM
  • I've done all this and I'm still having the problem.  (It seemed resolved for 1-2 days, but started again.)  I can only boot up in safe mode!  I can't print in safe mode.  What now?  Help?
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 6:26 PM
  • I too have the same problem.
    Windows Vista Home, boots up fine, I log in and immediatlety get "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute."

I tried to get to do a restore, but windows lockups as soon as I start typing in the Search.
    The last message before Windows restarts has something to do with msnmessenger, but I can't do anything to remove it.

I have ried booting in safe mode, just never loads.
    I tried using the restore from last known good setting, but the problem persists so not sure what to do know.

HELP!! :)
    Monday, November 16, 2009 10:00 PM