Trouble getting System Image to install in replacement hard drive. RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Everyone,

I had my W7 Pro x64 laptop backed  up on Server 2008.  Unfortunately,  the old hard drive I was  using died. I have since gotten another hard drive installed for the laptop backup, but am having trouble getting the backup done, as the laptop can’t access the previous  backup files.

Is there a way I can delete previous backup records from my laptop so I can start over again?  Now I have  new <LaptopName> Backup Set Files-Desktop.ini-MediaID.bin  files, but I can’t get get a system image the error message says it can’t find the mediaID file even though I see that file where indicated. There are no errors indicated concerning locating the backup drive since I created a blank file it was looking for for the backup site, and 10 Gigs of backup data are now located there, just no system image.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Micrometeor 

Friday, February 11, 2011 4:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

When a backup is created on a volume on a hard disk, a file called mediaid.bin is added to the root of the volume. If you move your backup folder but forget to move the mediaid.bin file, Windows 7 won’t recognize your backup. Thus you cannot get access the previous backup files.

please try another backup location to check the result.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Micrometeor Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:06 PM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

When a backup is created on a volume on a hard disk, a file called mediaid.bin is added to the root of the volume. If you move your backup folder but forget to move the mediaid.bin file, Windows 7 won’t recognize your backup. Thus you cannot get access the previous backup files.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Alex,

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately it seems you forgot the original problem. My original backup drive failed. Now I need to erase the regedit or other files that are no longer available on the server. These files are shown under lptp backup in the browse for folder window (files are located on the server).

How do I eliminate these in WS2008 Standard SP2 x64? I assume this is done in regedit, but where?

Thanks for helping this local user!

Mike

PS:  I'm now able to backup this by changing the Drive letter and name of the drive, but the old obsolete files are still showing up when browsing for network location on the server---BUT AT LEAST IT'S GETTING BACKED UP!

Hopefully CCleaner will eventually remove the obsolete files from the registry!!

Thanks Alex for your help!!

Mike

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean that you cannot start Windows 7 Backup?

To make this issue clear, please capture some related screenshots:

How to capture a screenshot

=========================

1)       Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2)       Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3)      In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4)       The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5)       Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

6)       Then Upload to SkyDrive.

Alex Zhao

Monday, February 14, 2011 9:40 AM
  • Alex,

Thanks for the response--However I can start windows backup and have a scheduled backup set for every month. But it isn't getting backed up anymore since my back up drive died.

I need to know how to erase the backup information from the laptop that needs backed up so when I start the Backup again it is not looking for earlier files that are gone.

Laptop screenshot1.png (1366×768)

As you can see from this screenshot, the scheduled backup did not complete. I can reset everything on the server end - BUT HOW DO I ERASE THE LAPTOP PREVIOUS BACKUP INFO FROM THE LAPTOP?

Micrometeor

Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:14 AM
  • Hi,

To reset backup configuration, you could refer to the following steps:

Note: please backup your registry before performing this operation.

1.    Open the Start Menu, type regedit in search box, open Registry Editor.

2.    In Registry Editor, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup

3.    In the right pane, right click on ValidConfig and click on Delete.

4.    In the left pane, right click on ScheduleParams and click on Delete.

5.    In the left pane, right click on Security and click on Delete.

6.    In the left pane, right click on Status and click on Delete.

7.    Close regedit.

Hope it help.

Alex Zhao

• Edited by Cloud_TS Friday, February 18, 2011 10:05 AM edit
    Friday, February 18, 2011 10:04 AM
  • Hi,

To reset backup configuration, you could refer to the following steps:

Note: please backup your registry before performing this operation.

1.    Open the Start Menu, type regedit in search box, open Registry Editor.

2.    In Registry Editor, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup

3.    In the right pane, right click on ValidConfig and click on Delete.

4.    In the left pane, right click on ScheduleParams and click on Delete.

5.    In the left pane, right click on Security and click on Delete.

6.    In the left pane, right click on Status and click on Delete.

7.    Close regedit.

Hope it help.

Alex Zhao

Alex,

Thanks that helps, but I also had to delete SystemImageBackup from left column as well as right column, but still am having problems.

After regedit1.png (1366×768)

When I try to backup again this is what I get. It is trying to find the below files on the server [WS 2008 Standard SP2, NOT R2] Where can I find these settings in regedit on the server? The Files below are not on the server anymore, so I feel I must delete them there also , but can't find where they are at in regedit, and they have been removed with the old hard drive except for the name lptp backup drive.

I knew I should have explored regedit more in school!

Mike

serverfiles.png (1366×768)

Monday, February 21, 2011 11:37 PM
  • Hi,

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Alex,

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately it seems you forgot the original problem. My original backup drive failed. Now I need to erase the regedit or other files that are no longer available on the server. These files are shown under lptp backup in the browse for folder window (files are located on the server).

How do I eliminate these in WS2008 Standard SP2 x64? I assume this is done in regedit, but where?

Thanks for helping this local user!

Mike

PS:  I'm now able to backup this by changing the Drive letter and name of the drive, but the old obsolete files are still showing up when browsing for network location on the server---BUT AT LEAST IT'S GETTING BACKED UP!

Hopefully CCleaner will eventually remove the obsolete files from the registry!!

Thanks Alex for your help!!

Mike

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:04 PM