none
What Anti spam options are available for Exchange 2013/2016? RRS feed

All replies

• Are there any built in anti spam options still available in Exchange 2013/2016 as it seems they are no longer supported?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/antispam-and-antimalware/antispam-protection/content-filtering?view=exchserver-2016

I need to replace my hardware firewall with a different brand and the new one might not have a spam filter on it.

Are there still any viable spam filters available within exchange 2013/2016 or is there a recommended 3ed party software that would work?

Thanks!

3rd party is what you should use. There are no recommended ones. You need to evaluate  them based on your needs. Your best bet is too search the internet and forums and see what orgs are using.

I prefer cloud solutions Office 365 EOP, Proofpoint, Cisco, etc..

Sunday, April 14, 2019 4:09 PM
  • As Andy mentioned, it's suggested that selecting EOP to instead.

Microsoft Exchange Online Protection (EOP) is a cloud-based email filtering service that helps protect end users and organizations against spam and malware, and includes features to safeguard organization from messaging-policy violations. EOP is backed by a modern spam filtering stack, where content filters have a lesser role and sending IP and domain reputation, authentication, campaign detection, and spammer hosting infrastructure reputation is now responsible for filtering. It is available for purchase to protect on-premises Microsoft Exchange Server.

You can also install the antispam agents on a Mailbox server by using an Exchange Management Shell script, which is important if these agents are your only defense to help prevent spam.  The following antispam agents are available in the Transport service on Exchange 2013/2016 Mailbox servers, but they aren't installed by default:

• Content Filter agent
    • Sender Filter agent
    • Sender ID agent
    • Protocol Analysis agent for sender reputation

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, April 15, 2019 4:16 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

$1200+ yearly fee isn't going to fly in my organization for EOP.

I don't have an edge transport server.

For the antispam on a Mailbox server, it hasn't received updates since 2016 so I'd rather have something else that's up to date.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/antispam-and-antimalware/antispam-protection/content-filtering?view=exchserver-2016

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 3:21 AM
  • Hi Susan_773,

SmartScreen filter is a spam content filter in the Content filter agent, it doesn’t equal to the content filter agent. The Content Filter agent depends on updates to determine whether a message is spam. These updates contain data about phishing web sites, Microsoft SmartScreen spam heuristics, and other Intelligent Message Filter updates.

Content filter updates are available from Microsoft Update. The content filter update data is updated and available for download every two weeks.

Except Content filter agent,  There are another three antispam agents are available in the Transport service on Exchange 2016. You can install these antispam agents on your server.

As a workaround, you can also use a 3rd party filtering service or appliance to sanitize the mail flow.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 8:24 AM
  • Hi Susan_773,

I am writing here to confirm with you how thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,
    Kelvin Deng

Monday, April 22, 2019 10:01 AM