Installing MUI Language Packs in Professional Edition and setting users Display Language RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was wondering how to install the Language Packs provided in MSDN Downloads in Windows 7 Professional.
    My aim is to have a system where my display language is German (de-DE) and the display language of all other users (including the ones created in future) is English (en-EN).

I followed instructions at Mark's Blog (mark.ossdl.de) on how to install the Languag Pack.

dism /online /add-package /packagepath:D:\langpacks\de-de\lp.cab 
    bcdedit /set {current} locale de-DE 
    bcdboot %WinDir% /l de-DE
    This should register the language pack with windows and set the locale of the welcome screen to this language.
    But after this, the two locales "de-DE" and "en-EN" are in the registry and Windows automatically uses English until the respective key is removed from the registry.

Then I followed an article for "Windows Vista Command Line Configuration of International Settings" (http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/vista/vista_tools/vista_command_line_international_configuration.mspx) which supposedly worked.

I used two configuration files, one to set the computer's default to en-EN and one to set the current user language to de-DE. The settings look right in the Language Administration (current user de, welcome screen en, new users en) but no changes in the UI.

Can someone help me out?
    Robert
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:00 PM

Answers

• Language packs are a feature of Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise. Installing language packs on other versions of Windows 7 is not supported.
    • Proposed as answer by ONE ZERO Sunday, September 13, 2009 2:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, September 13, 2009 2:59 AM
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 2:58 AM

All replies

• Language packs are a feature of Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise. Installing language packs on other versions of Windows 7 is not supported.
    • Proposed as answer by ONE ZERO Sunday, September 13, 2009 2:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, September 13, 2009 2:59 AM
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 2:58 AM
  • Hello Robert,

I have the kind of same problem here. I installed the needed language pack with the DISM command or with LPKSETUP (both end up in the same result) on Win 7 Enterprise. I Can perform the same tasks to get the local language at startup. I've found a way how to change also the UI Language. The trick is just to delete the whole registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MUI\UILanguages\en-US and reboot the machine. Then the new language will be the default. My problem is just that english is then totally gone and I can't cahnge it back anymore which is not what I want.

Did you have better luck so far?

Cheers

Robert

Monday, December 17, 2012 10:08 AM