Screen saver and switch user settings RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to set up a GPO to configure the Windows 7 screensaver as follows:

- screen saver starts after 5 minutes of inactivity and requires a password to unlock

- "Switch User" button is not available for the next 10 minutes while screen is locked (5-15 minutes of inactivity)

- "Switch User" button is available after that (15+ minutes of inactivity)

I have already found a number of settings under User Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Personalization:

- Enable screen saver (force screen saver to be active)

- Password protect the screen saver (require password to unlock)

- Prevent changing screen saver (prevent user override of password lock and screen saver timeout)

- Screen saver timeout (initial 5 minute threshold)

Under Computer Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/System/Logon, there is a "Hide entry points for Fast User Switching" that should disable the Switch User option in the Start Menu and lock screen, but I have yet to run across a Switch User timeout so far. 

Is there such a configuration option, or is there a known product that will do this, either provided by Microsoft or not?

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 9:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, enabling "Hide entry points for Fast User Switching" option could disable the Switch User option in the Start Menu and lock screen.

However, this group policy will take effect in time.

-  "Switch User" button is not available for the next 10 minutes while screen is locked (5-15 minutes of inactivity)

-  "Switch User" button is available after that (15+ minutes of inactivity)

As far as i know, it's hard to achieve by UI settings.

I recommend you ask in script forum to see if it could achieve by script:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-US/home?forum=ITCG

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Monday, June 9, 2014 1:14 AM
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 2:01 PM