Windows 7 OEM Virtual Machine/boot camp RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I currently have a Windows 7 OEM virtual machine on a MacBook Pro which I created through VMware Fusion. The virtual machine is quite slow, and I wish to use it instead in Boot Camp, which is an application on Apple machines which allows you to dual-boot to either Windows or Mac OS. This would of course allow you to allocate all of your hardware to the OS, and hence perform much better.

I am debating whether to purchase Windows 7 (non-OEM) in order to do this, because I do not believe there is a way to move Windows 7 vmdk to Boot Camp. My concern with this, however, is that the OEM version is bound to your BIOS, so I wasn't sure if even if I removed the vmdk and all associated files of the virtual machine, whether I would be able to install Windows 7 (non-OEM) through Boot Camp, because my motherboard already recognizes the OEM that I once had installed.

Another option I was considering trying (even though I'm 99.9% sure it won't work) was to use the OEM installer disc in Boot Camp, but that may really cause problems with the BIOS only recognizing that version of Windows 7, but I am not sure. So if my product key I have for OEM didn't work, I wouldn't be able to install the full version of Windows 7 Home Premium even if I wanted to.

I was hoping someone could shed some light on this, and assist me with making the best decision.

Thanks!

-BrazM

Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:17 PM

Answers

• First, OEM license is intended for Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM). Examples include HP, Dell, Acer, etc. Apple is not in the list, nor is VMware, so using OEM license in either of the platform appears to be a mystery.

Second, you need to own a retail license to transfer the license from one computer to other, be it a virtual machine. This facility is not available for OEM license. Therefore, you need to purchase a retail liecense (or a non-OEM license) to use Windows with Boot Camp.

Balaji Kundalam

• Proposed as answer by 暁北 Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, March 5, 2014 2:57 AM
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:41 AM

All replies

• 1. If you need both operating system at the same time, use virtualization.

2. You have less resources when you have both, the host and virtual machine.

3. If you use either Apple or Windows and these operating system do not need to work at the same time, then use appropriate loader

4. OEM is bound to Hardware, only key may be saved in BIOS.

5. Look for other alternatives of multiboot sofware. Some are free. Appropriate forum may navigate you.

Regards

Milos

Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:09 PM
  • Yes, my goal is to use Boot Camp with Windows so I can allocate all my CPU/memory/etc to Windows when I boot into it.

Am I still able to use Windows 7 Home Premium with a different key in Boot Camp, even though I've created a virtual machine with Windows 7 OEM, which I will delete?

Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:28 PM
  • There are two aspects of what you are doing with Windows installation. Windows 7 OEM comes with hardware and it is not aimed at installation on any other computer (License constraint, not technical one). As to the reactivation of Windows 7, Microsoft Activation Center should help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

Proper function of multiboot configuration may depend on the order of installation (this was the case of Grub). I used EasyBCD program to change the order of start in Windows multiboot scenario http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

For non MS products refer to appropriate support forum(s).

Regards

Milos

Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:51 PM
  • Hi,

Add Milos Puchta's suggestion, you can refer to this official article to install Windows 7 using bootcamp.

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 24, 2014 9:56 AM
  • Did your MacBook Pro come preloaded with Windows 7 or where did you get that OEM license from?
    Monday, February 24, 2014 9:54 PM
  • First, OEM license is intended for Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM). Examples include HP, Dell, Acer, etc. Apple is not in the list, nor is VMware, so using OEM license in either of the platform appears to be a mystery.

Second, you need to own a retail license to transfer the license from one computer to other, be it a virtual machine. This facility is not available for OEM license. Therefore, you need to purchase a retail liecense (or a non-OEM license) to use Windows with Boot Camp.

Balaji Kundalam

• Proposed as answer by 暁北 Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, March 5, 2014 2:57 AM
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:41 AM