Definition updates, Feature Pack, Service Pack, Update, and Update rollup all important? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm starting a new 2012 R2 server and it is going to be my new WSUS server. Going through the initial setup, I was wondering if the following features are important. If someone can explain the difference between Service Pack, Updates, Update rollup, Feature pack, and definition updates, and if  you use them all? I have a about 50 PC's mostly with 7, some 10, but would like to upgrade all to 10. Please any information will help. Thanks!

• Changed type D_Welge Monday, January 18, 2016 3:16 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 9:53 PM

Answers

• Hi, there is kb 824684 describing all you need.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/824684

Basically there are 2 ways you can go:

1. Make all your OS installations up to date as much as possible.

2. Pre test and then deploy your updates with a designed period of time (like once a month etc.).

Importance is a difficult word here. My advice is to make your installations as near to current  version/release as possible (I mean 1.). If something breaks down, you can always fall back to 2.

Friday, January 15, 2016 11:18 PM

All replies

• Hi, there is kb 824684 describing all you need.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/824684

Basically there are 2 ways you can go:

1. Make all your OS installations up to date as much as possible.

2. Pre test and then deploy your updates with a designed period of time (like once a month etc.).

Importance is a difficult word here. My advice is to make your installations as near to current  version/release as possible (I mean 1.). If something breaks down, you can always fall back to 2.

Friday, January 15, 2016 11:18 PM
  • I looked over that KB before, just wanted to get a range of ideas of what other people do.
    Monday, January 18, 2016 3:17 PM
  • Hi D_Welge,

In addition, it is not recommend to check "drive", since it may cost much disk memory but we might need a few of them. When we need to update the drive, you may install them manually.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 22, 2016 8:08 AM