System locks up coming out of sleep/hibernate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have three Latitude E6430 notebooks running Windows 7 Enterprise x64. This is a licensed copy from MS and has not been customized in anyway by us. All three systems have the exact same configuration. Two of these systems lock up when we try to resume from sleep or hibernation. The logon prompt comes up but we are unable to enter the password or move the pointer around. The system has to be hard rebooted to get it functioning again. The third notebook that does not exhibit this issue has graphics driver v8.15.10.2639 but those same drivers do not resolve the issue on these two systems. We have tried updating the BIOS, chipset and graphics drivers but issue persists. Tried different graphics driver versions (from Dell support site and Intel) but no go. Dell sent motherboard and processor replacement for one of the systems but issue was not resolved. For testing, Dell tech support asked their engineer to install the OEM copy supplied by Dell (Windows 7 Professional x64) and the issue was not noticed. We then installed our Enterprise copy and issue's immediately back again.

Issue occurs irrespective of how sleep/hibernate is triggered: manual, automatic (timed) or lid closure.
    Issue occurs irrespective of power source, AC power or only battery.
    Issue occurs even if lid close action is set to 'Turn Off Display' only.
    However, if hibernation is disabled the issue does not occur. System could be in sleep or with only the display turned off for hours and it still responds normally after waking up as long as hibernate is disabled.

All three systems have,

Intel Core i7-3540M Processor (Dual Core, 4M Cache, 3.0 GHz, w/HD Graphics 4000)
    8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory
    500GB Solid State Hybrid Drive

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Muggy

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you uninstall any 3 rd party programs or just boot the systme into clean boot mode check whether there're some applications cause this issue

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Or boot the problematic computer into safe mode with limited set of files and drivers, Check the result again.

Regards

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:54 AM
    Monday, March 10, 2014 3:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

After waking form hiberbation, have you tried to unplug the mouse then re-plug it back in for a test. Meanwhile keep the latest drivers for the the mouse and keyboard.

And untick this option: Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power in device manager\mouse and keyboard device\properties\power management.

Please also perform a memory test and hard disk test with instructions in the following links

Run Diagnostics to Check Your System for Memory Problems

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff700221.aspx

Check your hard disk for errors in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2641432/en-us

Yolanda Zhu

Friday, February 28, 2014 3:28 AM
  • Hi Yolanda,

We do not have a mouse connected to these systems. Only the internal touchpad is being used. The touchpad drivers are up to date.

Memory and hard drive diagnostics have been performed using the ePSA diagnostics integrated into the system BIOS. There were no errors.

We do not suspect a hardware failure anyway because as mentioned before, the issue occurs on two Latitude E6430 systems running Windows 7 x64 Enterprise but a third E6430 notebook running the same copy does not exhibit the issue. Also, one of the two systems exhibiting this issue with the Enterprise version of 7 x64 works fine when we use the Professional version of 7 x64 supplied by Dell. We believe the issue is due to some setting/driver conflict or some other software-related issue in Windows 7 Enterprise.

By the way, we also tried installing KB977074 thinking that might be the cause but got a message that the update is not applicable to the computer.

Thanks, Muggy

• Edited by Muggy82 Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:04 AM Correction
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:02 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you uninstall any 3 rd party programs or just boot the systme into clean boot mode check whether there're some applications cause this issue

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Or boot the problematic computer into safe mode with limited set of files and drivers, Check the result again.

Regards

Yolanda Zhu

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:54 AM
    Monday, March 10, 2014 3:11 AM
  • I know this I few months old, but wasn't sure if you found a fix yet. I had a similar issue with my Dell Latitude E6430 and did some searching. I found that if you disable or use a older driver for O2Micro SD/MMC controllers it fixes the issue.  I personally disabled them for now until I can find a good driver for it. Let me know if this helps!

-Justin

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 7:08 PM