Full Name Changed RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

Hi guys,
    Hope you are good because I am struggling with annoying thing!, can anyone explain to me what is this?
    I have Windows Server 2016 with C drive with the following path:
    C:\xxxxx\xxxxxx\xxxxxx\xxxxxx\Wordxxdocs\xxxx\xxxxx\My Projects on server\פרויקטים סגורים\xxxxxxשלב ב 2007-12-01 הקז  196201207\מבנן xxxxxxגנרי\מפרט_כתב כמויות_תקציבים\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\המפרט המיוחד\אידיגו_ב-תכניות xxxxxxxREV4+3  2007-12-11
    Total Characters: 241
    follow the last path -this one:

"המפרט המיוחד\ xxxxxxxREV4+3  2007-12-11"

I have more folders if I go into the folder for some reason the the full path changed. -
    Like this:
    C:\xxxxx\xxxxxx\xxxxxx\xxxxxx\Wordxxdocs\xxxx~1\xxx\MYPROJ~1\3B6B~1\2007-1~1\81BA~1\__42A9~1\D3B0~1\05A2~1\_-REV4~1\אינדיגו ב יטאות - סכימה מים
    TotalCharacters143

What goes here?

Where is the full path? apparently it looks like a good Windows Method for reducing full path characters, but how can control this? can I change it?
    Perhaps is it RoboCopy behavior? 

Windows IT MVP 2015 /2016 www.PelegIT.co.il Thank you!

• Edited by Meir Peleg Wednesday, September 6, 2017 5:52 AM
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 5:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Meir Peleg,

May I  ask what's the operation do you do? Robocopy?

In windows, there is a flag called MAX_PATH which has value 260, meaning a file path can have a maximum of 260 characters including the drive.

https://blog.bertvanlangen.com/articles/path-too-long-use-robocopy/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.In general, if the name too long you will get the long name path limited in windows. And in server 2016, it broke the limit. You could also check the article below.

https://www.saotn.org/ntfs-long-paths-windows-server-2016-gpo/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

But I haven't heard about windows will automatically reduce the name length. Could you please check if other 3rd party service lead to this.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:09 AM
  • Hi,

this is was I used:

robocopy "\\xxxx\xxxx" "I:\xxxx\xxxx" /MIR /SEC /B /R:0

but windows added ~1 like a shortcut for a long path, how can I control it? or understand the ~1 that windows add?

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:41 AM
  • Hi Meir,

Have you enable the policy to broke the long path limit?

And could you please also exclude the 3rd party service to do a test?

In addition, it is suggested you to shorten the path of the folder/file to do a check.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:04 AM
  • Yes I have enable this but it is not working... because if I am trying to create a new folder on C and put many folders I still get error of long path.

Do you think is it the policy? if so, why can't I create more folders with more than 260 characters? in different path on Drive C?

• Edited by Meir Peleg Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:55 AM
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:30 AM
  • Hi Meir Peleg,

Based on the research, it may related to this. Maybe you could take a look.

Robocopy /MIR means MIRror a directory tree - equivalent to /PURGE plus all subfolders (/E). The PURGE option may delete destination files and directories that no longer exist in the source.

Here are the articles for reference. 

https://ss64.com/nt/robocopy.html

https://blog.bertvanlangen.com/articles/path-too-long-use-robocopy/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Mary

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Thursday, September 14, 2017 6:15 AM
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back.

Best Regards,

Mary

Thursday, September 14, 2017 6:15 AM
  • Hey,

I found a way to fix it by enabling LONG PATH on WIndow server 2016 + enabling the 8.3 short name on Windows Server.

This is the solution...

I am going to write  it on my blog:

www.PelegIT.co.il

I'll post the URL as soon as it posts

• Proposed as answer by Hnaderson Sunday, September 17, 2017 11:14 AM
    Sunday, September 17, 2017 11:11 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback and sharing the solution.

Best Regards,

Mary

Monday, September 18, 2017 1:42 AM