HELP!! MY COMPUTER IS OVERHEATING because i checked that my Video Card Fan is not spinning =( can anyone help! what should i do!!?? RRS feed

• Question

• Please help i open up my case and i saw That my Radeon X1600 Series Video CArd Isn't spinning when i try starting the computer . So that why it Restarts my computer when i play my games =( So please help me what should i do to repair it or it is done and i need to buy a new video card D=
    Monday, May 16, 2011 11:37 AM

Answers

• Swap to a workable card or use the onboard video for the time being. In the mean time if the graphic card comes with warranty, rma it
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:05 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Take the card out and see if the fan is clogged with dust, or if some thing is preventing it from spinning. How old is the card? Does the fan spin freely if you spin it by hand? After cleaning it and the heatsink, you might have to take the fan off the card. Depending on the manufacturer, it may have a couple of small screws, or it may just snap off and on. Once it's off, look on the back side of the housing. There may be a small sticker; if so, peel it off carefully (you'll need to put it back on later). Under the sticker should be a small rubber plug or cap. Using some not too sharp. pop it out, put 3 or 4 drops of a light oil like 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil in the hole, turn the fan a few times to work the oil in, put the plug back in. If there is any oil on the case, wipe it off and use rubbing alcohol to clean it, then put the sticker back on over the plug. Put it back together, put the card back in the PC, and see if it works. If this didn't help, you more than likely need a new card.

SC Tom

Monday, May 16, 2011 7:18 PM
  • Swap to a workable card or use the onboard video for the time being. In the mean time if the graphic card comes with warranty, rma it
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:05 AM
    Answerer