Wipe windows vista help? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi, i am looking for help on wipeing my windows vista, but, i have a program called Propellerhead Reason 4.0 and it is the only program i do not want to loose, because i lost my cd key, and installs cd's including purchase information, other that that program, i would like everything on my system wiped, when i bought my compter, it only came with the update cd's, no other cd's what so ever....i do not know how to wipe my sysem, can anyone take the time to write me instrucions on how to keep my reason program and wipe the rest of my system?

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 3:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Nigel,

Thank you for the post.

Please understand after wiping the system, you need to reinstall Propellerhead Reason 4.0 and input the CD key again due to the copyright limitation. As you have lost the CD key, I suggest contacting its manufacturer to obtain one.

If you would like to back up the program - Propellerhead Reason 4.0, you can use Windows Easy Transfer Companion. However, after restoring the program to the new system, you may still need to input the CD key. Thank you for your understanding.

Windows Easy Transfer

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/easytransfer.mspx

Windows Easy Transfer Companion:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=39F724EB-4E37-4BE0-ADFC-786786E73E50&displaylang=en&clcid=0x409

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 2:03 AM
  •  

Hi All,

The first link still can be accessed. However, the second link (Windows Easy Transfer Companion link) has been removed. After Windows Vista Service Pack 1 was released, Windows Easy Transfer Companion was withdrawn by Microsoft due to compatibility issues.

Therefore, Windows Easy Transfer Companion is not available now.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, September 1, 2008 1:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Nigel,

Thank you for the post.

Please understand after wiping the system, you need to reinstall Propellerhead Reason 4.0 and input the CD key again due to the copyright limitation. As you have lost the CD key, I suggest contacting its manufacturer to obtain one.

If you would like to back up the program - Propellerhead Reason 4.0, you can use Windows Easy Transfer Companion. However, after restoring the program to the new system, you may still need to input the CD key. Thank you for your understanding.

Windows Easy Transfer

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/easytransfer.mspx

Windows Easy Transfer Companion:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=39F724EB-4E37-4BE0-ADFC-786786E73E50&displaylang=en&clcid=0x409

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 2:03 AM
  • Every link I find for Windows Easy Transfer Companion is dead. Does the program exist? And if so, where can I find it?

Thanks.

Friday, June 20, 2008 2:49 PM
  • The link to Windows Easy Transfer Companion doesn't work for me. Is there a way to get this program ?

Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:07 PM
  • I agree. I am having the same problems. Please email me with a correct solution.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:11 PM

• Hi Tim

I keep getting ( Sorry: Page can not be found)  with both of your links,  whats up?
    Monday, September 1, 2008 12:37 AM
  •  

Hi All,

The first link still can be accessed. However, the second link (Windows Easy Transfer Companion link) has been removed. After Windows Vista Service Pack 1 was released, Windows Easy Transfer Companion was withdrawn by Microsoft due to compatibility issues.

Therefore, Windows Easy Transfer Companion is not available now.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, September 1, 2008 1:58 AM
  • I wish this were more prominently located - at the beginning of the process of looking for the download companion software. 

Friday, September 12, 2008 11:43 PM
  • Dear TQ,

I cannot open a MIG file created when I transferred data to a flash drive. I don't know what to do. I've read all of these posts and still can't get my stuff. Very important I get it. What to do? If I call Tech saupport and they can't help, do I still have to pay for tech support? MD

Friday, December 5, 2008 8:52 PM