Vista now takes 15 minutes to boot RRS feed

• Question

• I am not sure what happened, but we were looking at some various settings regarding "Sleep" mode for Windows Vista 32, and now our system takes 15 minutes to boot.  I though it had totally crashed, but realized that if I waiting long enough, it would boot, and then it runs normally.  I've booted to Safe Mode, and the system appears to "hang" at crcdisk.sys, but again, if I wait long enough, it jumps to the logon screen.  The HD light on the front panel of the system is illuminated the entire time, and the keyboard is completely non-responsive during this period.  During normal boot, it occurs right after the Windows screen with the side-scrolling green bar, and the display is completely black for the entire time, and then the logon screen will appear.  Any thoughts on what is causing this?  Or how to go about finding the culprit?  There were no hardware or software changes to the system (unless Vista updated something I didn't catch).  Any assistance is appreciated.
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 5:51 PM

Answers

• Jason

There may be something that would give a clue in the Event Viewer. Go to Administrative Tools/Event Viewer.

In the Event Viewer expand Custom Views and select Administrative Events. In the right side look for any 'red icon' errors that correspond to the last date and time that the system was started.

If you find any, double click the error to open the details dialog. At the lower, left corner of this dialog is a Copy Button. Click the copy button and paste the results back here in a reply.

If you don't find any obvious errors there, try this.

Open Control Panel, click Classic View and double click Device Manager. In the device manager, expand Display Adapters. Right click the PCI Express video card and select Uninstall. After this completes, restart the system and let it re-detect and install the card. Install the latest drivers for that card.

Let us know the results.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Friday, June 6, 2008 12:05 AM
  • Ronnie -

Thanks for the advice.  I took a look in the event viewer for any possible problems, and found one that looked pretty suspicious:

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort7" since this error occurred 12 minutes after the previous log entry (right in line with the amount of delay in booting).

So I got to looking at what is connected to Port7, and found a loose SATA cable on the second hard drive installed in this system.  This also became apparent when the system wouldn't boot to XP (which is what the second drive is for).  Once I reseated the SATA cable, XP booted, and now Vista boots normally.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Regards,
    Jason
    Friday, June 6, 2008 6:58 PM

All replies

• JB

Without knowing exactly what was changed in the settings it would be nearly impossible to tell what is happening.

When booting to Safe Mode, the system doesn't actually 'hang' at 'crcdisk.sys', this is just the last driver that appears on the screen when Safe Mode initializes.

As a first step, I would recommend using System Restore to go back to a point prior to when this behavior started.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Thursday, June 5, 2008 7:35 PM
  • Ronnie -

Thanks for your response.  That is the really aggravating thing, we didn't make any changes to any Vista settings.  We were just looking to see where we could enable "Sleep" as an option from the Vista shutdown menu.  This system showed it as available, yet another system we built with a similar motherboard did not.

The only change that was made was in BIOS, we disabled the PCI Express Video Card to force the system to boot from the integrated graphics, and that is when things started hanging up.  We reverted the BIOS setting back to the PCI Express card, but the long "pause" during boot is still present.

I completely deleted and re-installed the PCI Express graphics card's driver, thinking it may have become corrupted, that did not change anything.

Since the system is actively doing "something" during this long pause, is there any way to figure out "what" it is doing?

Again, the system performs, as far as I can tell anyway, 100% normal once it boots, it's just taking it forever to get there.

Any further assistance is greatly appreciated.

Jason

Thursday, June 5, 2008 9:39 PM
  • Jason

There may be something that would give a clue in the Event Viewer. Go to Administrative Tools/Event Viewer.

In the Event Viewer expand Custom Views and select Administrative Events. In the right side look for any 'red icon' errors that correspond to the last date and time that the system was started.

If you find any, double click the error to open the details dialog. At the lower, left corner of this dialog is a Copy Button. Click the copy button and paste the results back here in a reply.

If you don't find any obvious errors there, try this.

Open Control Panel, click Classic View and double click Device Manager. In the device manager, expand Display Adapters. Right click the PCI Express video card and select Uninstall. After this completes, restart the system and let it re-detect and install the card. Install the latest drivers for that card.

Let us know the results.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Friday, June 6, 2008 12:05 AM
  • Ronnie -

Thanks for the advice.  I took a look in the event viewer for any possible problems, and found one that looked pretty suspicious:

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort7" since this error occurred 12 minutes after the previous log entry (right in line with the amount of delay in booting).

So I got to looking at what is connected to Port7, and found a loose SATA cable on the second hard drive installed in this system.  This also became apparent when the system wouldn't boot to XP (which is what the second drive is for).  Once I reseated the SATA cable, XP booted, and now Vista boots normally.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Regards,
    Jason
    Friday, June 6, 2008 6:58 PM
  • Jason

Excellent!

I'm glad we got you pointed in the right direction.

Enjoy.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Friday, June 6, 2008 9:54 PM