Outlook 2016 Task Attachments - Outlook cannot open the document after Win 10 Update RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user that is running Office 2016 on Windows 10 Pro. It appears that the Fall Creators Update was forced out last week and since that update he can no longer open files that are saved in an Outlook Task. The exact error is "Outlook cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges". I have tried running Outlook in Safe mode and tried a handful of other basic troubleshooting steps all to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.    
    Monday, November 20, 2017 11:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the detailed version number of Outlook you are using?

Are you using a MSI or click-to-run version of Office installation? There used to have a similar known issue in Outlook which has already been fixed. You may try installing all available updates for your Outlook and then see whether this fixes the issue.

Besides, we can also try repairing the Outlook data file as per the following article and see whether it helps:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-Outlook-Data-Files-pst-and-ost-25663bc3-11ec-4412-86c4-60458afc5253

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, November 24, 2017 9:50 AM
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 6:59 AM
  • I have a user that is running Office 2016 on Windows 10 Pro. It appears that the Fall Creators Update was forced out last week and since that update he can no longer open files that are saved in an Outlook Task. The exact error is "Outlook cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges". I have tried running Outlook in Safe mode and tried a handful of other basic troubleshooting steps all to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.    
    I have the identical problem, only I don't have a technical department to resolve the issue. I work for myself, and don't have the know-how to anything too technical. So, an easy solution please Microsoft?
    Wednesday, November 22, 2017 7:59 AM
  • You see, 'MSI or click-to-run' version. Too technical for me - I have no clue what either of those things mean. Please speak in very easy language :)
    Wednesday, November 22, 2017 8:00 AM
  • You see, 'MSI or click-to-run' version. Too technical for me - I have no clue what either of those things mean. Please speak in very easy language :)

Hi Zedders,

We're not sure whether you are encountering the identical problem as similar problems could be caused by different factors. To avoid confusion and keep track of troubleshooting steps, I'd recommend you create a new post with details about the problem you are encountering via:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=outlook

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 24, 2017 9:50 AM