none
Created a Project with 8Hours/Day calendar, and assigning resources, who were mapped to the calendar with 9Hours/day Working Time RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I am having 2 calendars (Calendar8Hours and Calendar9Hours)

1) Calendar8Hours - Working time from 8Am-12PM and 1PM-5PM (Monday-Friday)

2) Calendar9Hours - Working time from 8Am-12PM and 1PM-6PM (Monday-Friday)

All the Projects were created with "Calendar8Hours"(default) and in that Project few resources were mapped to the "Calendar8Hours", and few of the resources were mapped to the "Calendar9Hours".

Creating a tasks and mapped the resource(Calendar8Hours") for 1day, and in Autoshedule mode, by default theWork is calculating as 8Hours

Now Creating a tasks and mapped the resource(Calendar9Hours") for 1day, and in Autoshedule mode, by default theWork is calculating as 8Hours (But I want 9hours to show in that, since I mapped the "Calendar9Hours" to the resource.

Did I missing anything in the process. Please help me in this. Thank you.

-SNKBalaji

• Edited by SNKBALAJI Monday, April 25, 2016 8:59 AM Heading Changed
    Monday, April 25, 2016 8:58 AM

Answers

• Hello,

When you enter a duration (or work) in days, MSP uses the hours-per-day constant to convert your "days" entry to hours and, ultimately, minutes.  This constant is independent of calendars and applies to the entire project.  The default value is 8 hrs/day.  You can change this to any value you want (in the Schedule settings), but understand that mixing 8-hour and 9-hour calendars on a project will always have these kinds of consequences.

You should make it a habit to specify durations and work in hours rather than days.  Even then, you must accept that under default conditions a "5-day" task using your 9Hours Calendar will conclude at noon on the fifth day, and that is when its successors will start.  On the Gantt chart, the bars for your 9-hour calendar tasks will always be shorter than the bars for the 8-hour tasks of the same duration.  This is how Project works.

Good luck, tom

• Marked as answer by SNKBALAJI Tuesday, April 26, 2016 5:02 AM
    Monday, April 25, 2016 1:08 PM

All replies

• Hello,

When you enter a duration (or work) in days, MSP uses the hours-per-day constant to convert your "days" entry to hours and, ultimately, minutes.  This constant is independent of calendars and applies to the entire project.  The default value is 8 hrs/day.  You can change this to any value you want (in the Schedule settings), but understand that mixing 8-hour and 9-hour calendars on a project will always have these kinds of consequences.

You should make it a habit to specify durations and work in hours rather than days.  Even then, you must accept that under default conditions a "5-day" task using your 9Hours Calendar will conclude at noon on the fifth day, and that is when its successors will start.  On the Gantt chart, the bars for your 9-hour calendar tasks will always be shorter than the bars for the 8-hour tasks of the same duration.  This is how Project works.

Good luck, tom

• Marked as answer by SNKBALAJI Tuesday, April 26, 2016 5:02 AM
    Monday, April 25, 2016 1:08 PM
  • Thank you Tom for the valuable inputs... :)

-SNKBalaji

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 5:03 AM