none
Word 2002 start problem RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I start Word 2002 from a locked down profile, I get 2 dialogue boxes, one after the other, that say: "The function you are attempting to run contains macros or content that requires macro language support.  When this software was installed, you (or your administrator) chose not to install support for macros or controls."  I have to respond "OK" to each of them.

The word installation worked without this problem before I locked down the account with SteadyState.  I haven't found a setting in SteadyState that makes these dialogue boxes go away or a way to change the normal.dot template to remove macros.  I'm guessing that it is a conflict in normal.dot.

OS is XP Pro, all current updates as of yesterday.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your attention and ideas.

P. Howell

Thursday, July 19, 2007 4:31 PM

Answers

• Hello P. Howell,

East-TN NSC’s inputs is correct, the Windows SteadyState has Microsoft Office Restrictions under user profile Feature Restrictions. Please try to uncheck the option “Prevent use of Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) in Office 2007/2003/XP” to test this issue.

If the issue reoccur, please check the following registry keys, ensure the value of the key “Vbaoff” is “0”:

[HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Vbaoff]

[HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Vbaoff]

[HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\Vbaoff]

If the issue persists, please perform the following steps to narrow down this it:

a. Open Windows SteadyState, click the user profile

b. Select Windows Restrictions tab, select No restrictions

c. Select Feature Restrictions tab, select No restrictions

d. Select General tab, ensure you tick the option “Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes”, click OK

e. Logoff, and logon the user account to test this issue. Does this issue reoccur?

If this problem does not exist now, we can conclude that some restrictions cause this issue. We can then isolate the problematic restrictions gradually.

Hope these steps will give you some help.

Thanks and have a nice day!
    Monday, July 23, 2007 8:40 AM

All replies

• In SteadyState under the locked down profile.  Click on the FEATURE RESTRICTIONS tab.  Scroll down to the MICROSOFT OFFICE RESTRICTIONS section and uncheck "Prevent use of Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) in Office 2007/2003/XP.  See if this will do the trick.  There are a few more settings there you might have to experiment with if this doesn't solve the problem.  Good luck.
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 7:58 PM
  • Hello P. Howell,

East-TN NSC’s inputs is correct, the Windows SteadyState has Microsoft Office Restrictions under user profile Feature Restrictions. Please try to uncheck the option “Prevent use of Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) in Office 2007/2003/XP” to test this issue.

If the issue reoccur, please check the following registry keys, ensure the value of the key “Vbaoff” is “0”:

[HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Vbaoff]

[HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Vbaoff]

[HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\Vbaoff]

If the issue persists, please perform the following steps to narrow down this it:

a. Open Windows SteadyState, click the user profile

b. Select Windows Restrictions tab, select No restrictions

c. Select Feature Restrictions tab, select No restrictions

d. Select General tab, ensure you tick the option “Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes”, click OK

e. Logoff, and logon the user account to test this issue. Does this issue reoccur?

If this problem does not exist now, we can conclude that some restrictions cause this issue. We can then isolate the problematic restrictions gradually.

Hope these steps will give you some help.

Thanks and have a nice day!
    Monday, July 23, 2007 8:40 AM
  • Help! I have a microsoft works 2004 edition reading as 2002 and when I down loaded it successfully,but it will not allow me to begin due to a missing 25 character product key. I don't know how my computer lost this program  in the first place and it was hell finding the disk to re-install it. But sadly the disk is missing it's case. Is there any way to bypass this problem or am i going to have to upgrade?

Sunday, December 9, 2007 9:11 PM
  • You may need to call Microsoft Customer Service.

Microsoft Customer Service (800) 426-9400 is available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Note: Microsoft Customer Service mainly handles issues regarding replacement manuals, disks, drivers and service packs, product IDs, lost CD keys, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration.

Best Regards,

Monday, December 10, 2007 6:58 AM