none
"Corrupt default search provider..." after applying GPO? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Good Morning,

    Recently, we applied a GPO that disabled cached profiles. About 3 days later, we disabled the GPO, seeing that it wasn't quite what we wanted.

    After that, however, a group our users began getting the following error when attempting to access Internet Explorer:

    A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider setting for Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer has reset this setting to your original search provider, Live Search (search.live.com). Internet Explorer will now open Search Settings, where you can change this setting or install more search providers.

    This error occurs every single time the user logs on and tries to access IE. I've tried various registry fixes posted online, but to no avail. Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:51 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    sounds like you have IE7 adm files.

    Is the Google toolbar also installed. It has a warning message also.

    check the registry values for

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes]
    "DefaultScope"="{0633EE93-D776-472f-A0FF-E1416B8B2E3A}"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{0633EE93-D776-472f-A0FF-E1416B8B2E3A}]
    @="Bing"
    "URL"="http://www.bing.com/search?q={searchTerms}&FORM=IE8SRC"
    "DisplayName"="@ieframe.dll,-12512"

     


    Rob^_^

    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:44 PM
  • Thank you for the reply! We do not have Google toolbar installed so far as I am aware. I do have those exact registry values however. Is there something that can be changed, or reset herein to eliminate this error?

    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:17 PM
  • Please refer to this article.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2171141


    Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

    Thursday, May 2, 2013 5:33 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks, but we're using IE9, and we haven't applied any GPOs or Registry Edits that would (directly) disable the search provider. Furthermore, it only happens on some of the user accounts and not others, even when they are logging into the same computer.
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Despite my noted objections, I did apply the hotfix, and then the registry change in the link that you provided, but neither one worked for me.
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 10:37 PM
  • Try to install Live Search provider or bing Search for a test.

    http://www.bing.com/set/search/


    Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

    Friday, May 3, 2013 2:55 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks for the reply. I tried that to no avail. I've also attempted a number of additional registry changes, none of which have yet cleared the error for me.
    Monday, May 6, 2013 5:03 PM