none
Cannot Drag and Drop Email's between Folders

Question

• This problem exists on only one of our PC's.

Since upgrading to outlook 365 (2016) and importing the users old email, an attempt to drag an email produces the following error message:

"Cannot find this file verify the path and filename are correct"

Deleting the users outlook profile and data files and creating a new blank one has no effect.  Reinstalling office has no effect.  The error remains.  Have also added pop3 and imap accounts and they too have the same problem.  Aside from a windows reinstall we are at a loss.  Other than the drag problem outlook functions normally.

All addins disabled.  User is a local admin and this particular PC is not joined to a domain.

Windows 10 Pro, Office 365 (2016 desktop apps)

• Edited by Reafidy Sunday, October 04, 2015 5:33 AM
    Sunday, October 04, 2015 5:29 AM

All replies

• Please open task bar and then end the Explorer.exe
    Open file explorer once again and then try to move emails. 

please let me know if you have saved the pst file on network location? try saving it in local hard drive and let me know if it works
    Monday, October 05, 2015 4:56 AM
  • Thanks for your help but unfortunately that did not solve the issue.  PST file is on the local hard drive and "everyone" has read write permission.
    • Edited by Reafidy Monday, October 05, 2015 11:47 PM
    Monday, October 05, 2015 11:45 PM
  • Could you please try doing the same in outlook safe mode? 

you can do that by opening run window and typing outlook /safe

please let me know if you create a new folder in pst file are you able to move emails into it? 

let me know if you create a new pst file and then move emails does that helps? 

Tuesday, October 06, 2015 3:13 AM
  • This did not help.  I can uninstall office, reinstall it and create a new profile with a new blank data pst file and still the problem persists.
    Tuesday, October 06, 2015 3:51 AM
  • What happens when you right click on inbox and then select copy folder and then in the wizard select the pst file to copy to. do you get the same error? 

what happens you click on file and then click on open and export and select import using pst files? does it gives the same error message? 
    Tuesday, October 06, 2015 4:13 AM
  • I can copy folders like that no problem.

No problem exporting/importing either.

• Edited by Reafidy Tuesday, October 06, 2015 4:53 AM
    Tuesday, October 06, 2015 4:51 AM
  • Could you please try this by creating a new windows profile?

Let me know if you are still affected?

Wednesday, October 07, 2015 1:41 AM
  • Ok have done that as suggested but the new user profile gives the same error.
    Wednesday, October 07, 2015 3:57 AM
  • Hi,

Exactly same problem here - can't drag emails into folders, same error message. Running Win10PRO 64bit, Outlook 2016. No fixes have worked so far.

As a workaround, I've created Quick Steps that move files from Inbox to a specific folders and they work perfectly. Sounds like a fix could be a ways off... :(

Wednesday, October 07, 2015 12:01 PM
  • This problem exists on only one of our PC's.

Since upgrading to outlook 365 (2016) and importing the users old email, an attempt to drag an email produces the following error message:

"Cannot find this file verify the path and filename are correct"

If you go into File --> Account Settings --> Data Files tab - does the file physically exist as shown on that page which lists the full folder path of the data stores?

Might also be worthwhile to start from the beginning - starting with the word "upgrading". Is this an in-place upgrade to OL'2016 on a machine which previously had another version of Outlook installed? If yes, which version just for the sake of background info.

If this is an in place "upgrade" - there should have been no reason to <import> anything since OL'2016 would have used the profile settings from the previously installed Outlook (which would remain true whether or not Outlook itself was still installed when you did the OL'2016 install since Outlook profiles persist and survive any un-installs and re-installs.

If this is in reference to an "upgrade" which in reality is a "new install" on a machine where Outlook was never installed - next piece of info that would be useful would the account type(s) involved (PST, Imap, Outlook.com, Exchange etc). The only account type that would "possibly" require any kind of <import> would be for a POP account since using export/import is not the recommended way to go about it unless you happen to be migrating an ANSI based PST file and want to convert it to UNICODE first.

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Thursday, October 08, 2015 12:53 AM
  • Yes the file physically exists.

Yes it was an upgrade from office 365 2013 (x86) to office 365 2016 (x86).  However the user was not using outlook prior to the upgrade.  We moved the PST file from a laptop (which had Office 2013) to the desktop after the upgrade to 2016.  Seems strange but this is a relatively new PC and we hadn't got around to configuring outlook prior to the upgrade.

This is a pop3 account that we were trying to configure.  However,  since this problem developed we have tried creating a new user with a new outlook profile new data file using exchange and once again with IMAP and the problem remained.  We have also tried manually uninstalling office 365 and reinstalling which also didnt work.

Seems like this is heading for a windows reinstall which is just ridiculous.

• Edited by Reafidy Thursday, October 08, 2015 5:32 AM
    Thursday, October 08, 2015 5:31 AM
  • Sounds like a fix could be a ways off... :(

Have you seen a bug report somewhere?

Thursday, October 08, 2015 5:33 AM
  • Seems like this is heading for a windows reinstall which is just ridiculous.

That may or may not be the solution after it's all said and done but would hang tuff before going that route.

#1 - Make sure that the PST file isn't in ANSI format (if you open it in Outlook on another system, right-click on the root --> Data File Properties --> Advanced --> if (97-2002) is in the format description, it's ANSI and should be converted to UNICODE by exporting it to another PST file. Not likely the case but worth checking. BTW - if it is ANSI based, be sure to run ScanPST on it first to clear any potential underlying issues

#2 - Had one system (of several) that I upgraded from '2013 to '2016 which had some strange behaviour so given my "low pain threshold" decided to clean up and start over instead of spending (wasting?) any time trying to figure out why (. Clean up meant making sure everything was uninstalled in terms of Office - starting with Control Panel removal followed by the FixIt's as described in the following article

Uninstall Office 2013, Office 2016, or Office 365 from a Windows computer
    https://support.office.com/en-nz/article/Uninstall-Office-2013-Office-2016-or-Office-365-from-a-Windows-computer-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8?ui=en-US&rs=en-NZ&ad=NZ

Once I was sure that everything Office related to the system was removed, re-installed '2016 and reconfigured all the email accounts. Life was happy after that.

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Thursday, October 08, 2015 6:05 AM
  • Thanks, the file is not ANSI.  I have already done a manual uninstall using the exact instructions you posted and it didn't help.
    Thursday, October 08, 2015 8:00 AM
  • Thanks, the file is not ANSI.  I have already done a manual uninstall using the exact instructions you posted and it didn't help.

Then take a look at this for various other things to try - particularly segment of file permissions / A/V etc

http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/windows10upgrade.htm

If nothing in the above works and you go the W10 re-install route - strongly suggest that you install/test Office(Outlook) before installing much of anything else to eliminate other factors that may be coming into play.

Thursday, October 08, 2015 8:29 AM
  • Thanks for the link,  I am confident I have tried everything on the list.  I was thinking the permission error was a likely cause but alas the account has full control over the data file folder.

How frustrating.

Thursday, October 08, 2015 8:42 AM
  • Thanks for the link,  I am confident I have tried everything on the list.  I was thinking the permission error was a likely cause but alas the account has full control over the data file folder.

How frustrating.

Perhaps this is one of those cases where it's just going to be a whole lot faster by starting from scratch with a fresh W10 install but one last thing to check would be the results from OffCat

Microsoft Office Configuration Analyzer Tool
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=36852  

(not to forget that you always have the option to contact MS Support

- the quickest way is from within Windows 10, type "Contact Support" in the search box to access the Win10 support app from the Microsoft store OR

- go to http://support.mcrosoft.com

a) select <Contact Answer Desk>
             b) select <Services & Apps>
             c) select appropriate choice (i.e. Windows or Office etc)

d) select <Technical Support> and then choose from
                      1) Chat online with a Microsoft Answer Tech
                      2) Call me as soon as possible
                      3) Schedule a Call

Thursday, October 08, 2015 9:11 AM

• (not to forget that you always have the option to contact MS Support

- the quickest way is from within Windows 10, type "Contact Support" in the search box to access the Win10 support app from the Microsoft store OR

- go to http://support.mcrosoft.com

Yeah even that is not working.  I get "an error occurred" after clicking technical support.  Maybe they don't care about us in New Zealand.

Anyway thanks for your help.

Thursday, October 08, 2015 7:44 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem and have tried everything.  Microsoft is supposed to call me back today.  We'll see.  Did you get this fixed?  If so, how?  Reinstalled windows I bet.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 4:07 PM
  • I had the same issue.  With outlook open and in forefront i hit the escape key several times and this resolved my issue, wacky but true

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 5:01 PM
  • I ended up reinstalling windows which fixed the issue.  Thanks Microsoft for a wasted day.  

Unfortunately I have no way to test your solution Titamus, but I will take your word for it.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 10:39 PM
  • Try using the escape key like this article suggests

I hope this helps. If my response answered your question, please mark the response as an answer and also vote as helpful. Michael Mayo

Friday, June 03, 2016 5:14 PM
  • Try using the escape key like this article suggests

I hope this helps. If my response answered your question, please mark the response as an answer and also vote as helpful. Michael Mayo

As I said in the post directly above, I have no way of testing this now.  I reinstalled windows.
    • Edited by Reafidy Saturday, June 04, 2016 1:39 AM
    Saturday, June 04, 2016 1:39 AM
  • I am having this issue after Windows 10 anniversary edition was installed.  Hitting escape key does not work for me.  I can right click on message, and Move from there.  I am no longer able to drag/drop.  All of my folders are in my main Mailbox.  I am on Office 365 with Outlook 2013. 

UPDATE - it appears I am able to move items when I don't have my 2nd monitor plugged in. 

• Edited by Karen H_ Monday, September 19, 2016 3:05 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Rana Jehanzeb Wednesday, October 12, 2016 5:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rana Jehanzeb Wednesday, October 12, 2016 5:47 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2016 2:19 PM
  • I encountered the same issue, and the Esc key trick failed for me as well.
    The answer 'I am able to move items when I don't have my 2nd monitor plugged in' gave me a hint.  I removed my laptop from the docking station, but the issue remained.  As soon as I re-docked, the issue was resolved.
    Thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by Johnathan Deur Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:13 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 12:40 AM
  • I have the exact same problem with my Outlook 2016, and while tapping the ESC key a few times didn't work, tapping it about a dozen times actually did. Not sure what this glitch is, but I'll agree that it's pretty annoying. I'll test not to see if the problem comes back after being cleared by this "fix".
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 2:39 AM
  • Same issue was faced by me after this update. But I just figured out that if you left click mouse on your selected email(s) and hold it for 4-5 seconds, then it allows dragging of email. Hope it works for you as well !!!
    • Proposed as answer by Rana Jehanzeb Wednesday, October 12, 2016 5:47 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 5:45 PM
  • This worked for me

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:13 PM
  • I had the same issue.  With outlook open and in forefront i hit the escape key several times and this resolved my issue, wacky but true

This worked for me too!!
    Friday, November 10, 2017 6:24 PM