Microsoft System Admin Future RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Members,

Now a days i am bit confuse, after spending 14 years in IT career in following areas (Technical support, System admin, Sharepoint admin, servers and storage hardware eng, Microsoft products migration project, ERP solutions. Azure practices.

Currently I am doing SharePoint admin Job and some internal organization Application support.

Now I am finding and require advice what I learn next in Technologies to survive in IT, please advise.

Regards,

• Edited by ImranNawaz Tuesday, January 8, 2019 9:52 AM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2019 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Most if not all of the opportunities I see for cloud architects require DevOps experience. If you want to be a cloud architect, learn Kuberentes, Docker, and Jenkins, etc. At least until the next big thing comes around.

• Proposed as answer by Fadi Ghanameh Sunday, February 10, 2019 12:11 PM
    Saturday, February 9, 2019 5:27 PM
  • Hey Imran,

You seem to have built your career on sysadmin roles around Microsoft technologies - there will always be a need for Microsoft qualified sysadmins!

If you are looking to stay in your field of expertise, look at possibly:-

1. Windows 10 migrations with Intune (Autopilot)

2. Migrating workloads to Azure e.g. SQL

3. Hybrid implementations e.g. Exchange / Sharepoint

4. Office 365

A lot of companies are looking cloud first and will be looking for expertise to migrate legacy infrastructure to the cloud. If you are looking for a change and want to go purely Cloud Architect, and that is not a bad idea, then Mohammad had some pretty good suggestions.

Hope it works out! :)

Ben Whitmore | Technical Architect | byteben.com github.com/byteben | twitter.com/byteben

Saturday, February 9, 2019 5:49 PM
  •  I totally agree with you
    Saturday, February 9, 2019 5:54 PM