none
Code to Copy One Cell to Another RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Is there a way to copy a roll up summary cell to another roll up summary Cell automatically?

Thanks

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:11 PM

Answers

• GUZZLR,

Sorry, it doesn't quite work that way. You can neither enter a value into the Physical % Complete field for a summary line nor can you use a formula to copy another custom field (e.g. Number1) into the Physical % Complete field for a summary line. You can however use a custom text field in addition to the custom number field as shown in the screen shot below.

Hope this helps.

• Edited by John - Project Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:18 PM more
    • Marked as answer by GUZZLR Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:49 PM
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:16 PM

All replies

• GUZZLR,

Your description is a little lacking in detail (i.e. is the second summary simply a higher level summary or a separate summary at the same level as the first summary). What exactly are you rolling up?

On the surface, what you want could be done with VBA and that may be the only option depending on a more detail description of what you are trying to do.

John

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:43 PM
  • Both summary Bars are on the same level.  As we know, Physical % Complete will not role up to a summary bar.  As such, I do not get an average of the percentage of the given task's.  So, I used the typical work around of inserting a number column with the formula: [Physical % complete] and selecting "Average" on the drop down. This gives me an average of the task's. However, it does not show the "%" sign. So, If I can simply copy the custom column summary (with the number average) into the actual Physical % complete column summary cell, then I'll have my average, and simply hide the custom column....does that make sense?  Or, have the formula: [Physical % complete] adding a "%" sign.  I do not know what language this is.

Thanks for the help

• Edited by GUZZLR Tuesday, January 16, 2018 7:41 PM
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 7:39 PM
  • GUZZLR,

Sorry, it doesn't quite work that way. You can neither enter a value into the Physical % Complete field for a summary line nor can you use a formula to copy another custom field (e.g. Number1) into the Physical % Complete field for a summary line. You can however use a custom text field in addition to the custom number field as shown in the screen shot below.

Hope this helps.

• Edited by John - Project Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:18 PM more
    • Marked as answer by GUZZLR Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:49 PM
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:16 PM
  • I actually was trying this...my mistake is I tried to use a text field instead of the number field, I did not think to use both number and text to piggy back off the number.

Also, I've noticed that every time I re-open the file, I'm greeted with a lot of "Error" messages in the custom number column. I then must re-open the custom field setting, click on Formula, then click on OK to re-initiate the formula to get everything working again. Is there a setting that will remember the formula so that it "Sticks"?

Thanks

• Edited by GUZZLR Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:48 PM
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:42 PM
  • Well, I just tried it, and it will not roll up to the summary bar. it does show the % sign in all task.

I just got it to show in the summary bar by checking the button "Use Forumla" under Calculation for task and group summary rows.  However, the significant digits are very long, I would only like to have 1 digit ie. 50.4%.

How can I change this?

Thanks for the help

• Edited by GUZZLR Tuesday, January 16, 2018 9:05 PM
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:59 PM
  • GUZZLR,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. There is a simple fix for the significant digits issue.

Use the following formula in the Text1 field. That will limit the formatted text to one decimal place.

format([Number1],"#.0") & " %"

John

• Edited by John - Project Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:10 PM revision
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:03 PM
  • Please excuse me for bumping in here, but I am puzzled.

You are entering P% complete into the P% complete field for the tasks.

Then, using a custom number field to read that P% field for the tasks and coerce an average of the tasks to be the "P% complete" of the summary.

Then, using a custom text field to display that number with the right format (John is great with this).

But, after all that, how will it be useful? It's an average of %s for completely different tasks?

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 1:37 AM