Windows update no long works for XP x64 after reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• I just reinstalled Windows XP x64 from disk after a driver failure was preventing the OS from booting, or was leading to immediate blue screen errors. I need Windows XP on this machine because of peripheral hardware for which no later drivers exist. Now I find that the Windows Update web page is not accessible. Some research seems to indicate that the Windows Update web page is designed not to function with OS SP2 or below. This is patently ridiculous, especially considering Windows XP x64 only went to SP2. Is this true? I have reinstalled XP x64 and cannot install the still existing updates to bring it back to full functionality? If this is the case then it is Linux for this computer.
    • Edited by gridsleep Monday, March 30, 2015 12:10 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 12:07 PM

All replies

• Hi GridSleep.

Yes, I am afraid that you are stuck in here.

There is no SP3 for Windows XP x64bit version, only SP2.

And you are not able to receive Security Updates for SP2 version because it ended on July 13th, 2010.

My guess is that if you are not able to run Windows XP SP3 32bit, or Windows 7, then you should go for Linux (if that is the only other option).

Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people. This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 30, 2015 12:18 PM
  • Please review: Microsoft Support Lifecycle

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 1:44 AM