How can I link, point or create a shortcut to a "Custom List" from within a "Document Library"? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to create a "shortcut"? to a custom list from with in a document library. I've done it before, but for the some reason can NOT figure it out again. I don't know if I did it in SharePoint designer 2007, or within Sharepoint itself. I went back and read all of my old posts and looked at searched several other posts. The "shortcut" shows up similar to a document icon within the document library and just takes you to the custom list page.

Thanks.

Monday, April 25, 2011 7:41 PM

Answers

• Since you have set "Allow Management of Content Types" set to "Yes" you should now see a 'Content Types' section on the document library settings page.  Click on the 'Add from existing site content types' then scroll that available site content types and add the "Link to a Document".  If you need to associate metadata to this content type click into the 'Link to a Document' content type and associate the appropriate metadata for this document library.  The icon in the document library should look like this (courtesy of Bits of SharePoint Consulting LLC SharePoint Layout Images library).

What is great about this content type is that you can directly point the user to a document in a another site or you can use it to redirect the user to an entirely different site, list, or library.

Cheers,

Stu

Moderator Note: Never propose your own posts as answers. That function is to propose the good answers of other people NOT for self-proposing. 

• Proposed as answer by Stu Blank Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:34 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:17 PM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:19 PM Moderator note about not self-proposing
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:35 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:38 PM

All replies

• You can try creating a calculated column with a link to the custom list.

Regards, Mahesh
    Monday, April 25, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Hi Magu1329,

I can figure out how to create the link. Can you describe in more detail how to do this?

Thanks

Monday, April 25, 2011 8:57 PM
  • The feature you are probably looking for is the Content Type called 'Link.'  In your document libarry make sure you have 'Allow Management of content types' set to 'Yes.'  Then add the content type of 'Link' to your library.  Anytime the 'Link' content type is used you will get a link icon instead of the typical MS Office icon.
    Monday, April 25, 2011 9:08 PM
  • Hi Stuart,

I checked "Yes" next "Allow Managment of Content Types". Please explain in detail how to add the link to the custom list. I have created a link to a picture of the one link that I successfully created a while back. I just don't remember how I did this???

Does this help show what i am trying to accomplish?

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb347/pedalquickly/LinktoCustomList.jpg

Thanks Again.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:06 PM
  • Since you have set "Allow Management of Content Types" set to "Yes" you should now see a 'Content Types' section on the document library settings page.  Click on the 'Add from existing site content types' then scroll that available site content types and add the "Link to a Document".  If you need to associate metadata to this content type click into the 'Link to a Document' content type and associate the appropriate metadata for this document library.  The icon in the document library should look like this (courtesy of Bits of SharePoint Consulting LLC SharePoint Layout Images library).

What is great about this content type is that you can directly point the user to a document in a another site or you can use it to redirect the user to an entirely different site, list, or library.

Cheers,

Stu

Moderator Note: Never propose your own posts as answers. That function is to propose the good answers of other people NOT for self-proposing. 

• Proposed as answer by Stu Blank Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:34 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:17 PM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:19 PM Moderator note about not self-proposing
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:35 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Ahhhh...perfect !!!

Thank you so much Stu! This is not how I did it the first time, but certainly is easy once I figured it out !

Thanks again for taking the time to help someone who knows just enough to be dangerous....

Moderator Note: The idea is that you mark the post that gave you the answer and not your own post giving thanks. I'll interpret this as a mistake and that you actually meant to mark the previous post as an answer. (So I will do that *on your behalf* - I wouldn't otherwise ever mark the post of someone who proposed their own post as an answer.)
    • Marked as answer by pedalquickly Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:25 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:33 PM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:35 PM Moderator Note added about which post to mark as an answer.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:25 PM