open usb host controller / new hardware recognizing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, Anyone have problems / solutions to a open usb host controller in device manager? I am a novice but my vista home premium OS will not recognize a new usb keyboard that is compatable for the OS.

Friday, March 28, 2008 7:37 PM

Answers

• Hello George,

If the USB port works well with your flash disk as description above, upgrading motherboard is an optional troubleshooting step, I think.

I’ve also asked some other Saitek Eclipse users, they don’t think this keyboard needs any additional driver and it’s compatible with Windows Vista, just as many other USB 2.0 devices. Based on that, I really suspect if the keyboard is damaged or having some conflictions inside.

George, before contacting the manufacturer for repairing or refunding this device, I recommend you to try a clean boot, to know if some 3rd party applications or services are preventing system to recognize this device.

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

Thanks for considering my assistance. Microsoft are always trying the best to offer better service for you.

Cheers,

Lionel

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 7:52 AM

All replies

• Hello Panzer,

If the keyboard is compatible with Windows Vista and not damaged, you may need to reinstall the updated driver for the motherboard/chipset.

Because the USB host controller is generally driven by motherboard driver. However, please confirm if it’s really the root cause. To check that, you may try to connect other USB device into the same port and test it.

Let us know the result if possible.

Cheers,

Lionel

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 12:56 AM
  • Thanks Lionel,

But being a novice, where do I get these drivers? I just bought a satiek keyboard which I would like to use...and it does work on my old xp system. The USB is working also as I used a flash drive on that particular one before. I am really frustrated and could use more of your expertise.

Thanks George

P.S. they have no updated drivers on the satiek site

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 3:44 PM
  • Hi George,

The motherboard driver can be downloaded from the motherboard or the PC manufacturer’s website.

Besides, let me know the model of the problematic keyboard please, I will check if it’s really compatible with Windows Vista. If you like, you can also use Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List to check it:

https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Lionel

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 4:26 AM
  • Lionel, it is a saitek eclipse keyboard, i also am a client of driver agent, so I can get just about any driver i need, just do not want to screw up and crash my computer.

Thanks for your interest in my problem, really gratifying to meet some real live help, as HP and microsoft have been no help.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 6:52 AM
  • Lionel just checked...guess what, a keyboard that the manufacturer says is compatible, microsoft says is not....so if no "work around"  is avail. the keyboard goes back, I guess

George

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 7:01 AM
  • Hello George,

If the USB port works well with your flash disk as description above, upgrading motherboard is an optional troubleshooting step, I think.

I’ve also asked some other Saitek Eclipse users, they don’t think this keyboard needs any additional driver and it’s compatible with Windows Vista, just as many other USB 2.0 devices. Based on that, I really suspect if the keyboard is damaged or having some conflictions inside.

George, before contacting the manufacturer for repairing or refunding this device, I recommend you to try a clean boot, to know if some 3rd party applications or services are preventing system to recognize this device.

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

Thanks for considering my assistance. Microsoft are always trying the best to offer better service for you.

Cheers,

Lionel

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 7:52 AM
  • Lionel,

Thanks for your assistance. Found the necessary drivers at driver agent.....works great. Thanks again. Problem solved.

George

Friday, April 4, 2008 6:47 AM