none
DPM 2010 issue backing up vm's and systemstate from one host of 3 node cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This is a new dpm install. DPM is running on a separate physical server. I have a 3 node hyper-v failover cluster running server 2008 R2 core using a Dell MD3000I iscsi SAN. I have read that the Dell hardware provider does not work, so I made the registry change to do serialized backups. I am able to backup system state with BMR and the guest virtual machines on two of the hosts just fine. The third host will not let me backup BMR or any virtual machines hosted on it. I CAN manually do a BMR backup from the command line on this host using wbadmin and the -allcritical flag with no problems.

DPM will not backup BMR  or virtual machines via hyper-v child partition on this one host. I get error 30111 from dpm:

The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. Either it was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current operation. (ID 30111 Details: VssError:The writer experienced a non-transient error.  If the backup process is retried,
    the error is likely to reoccur.
     (0x800423F4))

I can do a system state only via dpm on this host, but it fails when I select BMR. I am suspicious of VSS, but it seems ok on the host. All the VSS writers are in stable state with no errors. I was gettting errors a few days ago in the host eventlog, but I re-registered the VSS  dll's and they seem to have gone away. The errors were event ID: 12293

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details EndPrepareSnapshots({a4b977c7-a630-4365-89ea-590772f96791}) [hr = 0x80070015, The device is not ready.
    ].

Operation:
       Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:
       Current State: DoSnapshotSet

I am lost here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thursday, March 3, 2011 4:35 PM

Answers

• I think that fixed it.  I enabled automount on the problem host and ran a consistency check on a few of the machines that live on that host. Protection status is now green for those!

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:44 PM

All replies

• Check to see if automount is disabled on the problem host.  "when automatic mounting of new volumes is disabled on Windows 2008 Hyper-V Host systems, then online backups of (capable) Guest systems will fail.   Automatic fallback to an offline Guest backup is not attempted."  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd252619(WS.10).aspx.

Use DISKPART to see if automount is enabled.

* Automount         - reports the current setting for automatic mounting

* Automount Enable  - enables automatic mounting

* Automount Disable - disables automatic mounting

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 5:54 PM
  • I think that fixed it.  I enabled automount on the problem host and ran a consistency check on a few of the machines that live on that host. Protection status is now green for those!

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:44 PM