none
Offline Media Creation problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I hope someone can advise.

I'm trying to build an offline ISO for windows 10 deployment. I am using MDT 2013 Update 1 (build 6.3.8298.1000).

The Selection Profile is created and I can run the Update Media Content wizard. It runs through the folder copy but it is then failing with a message that says

Unable to mount the WIM, so the update process cannot continue.

I have also had it give me dism errors whilst mounting or unmounting the wim file (during the Wizard process), and when this happens,  I need to go into a cmd prompt on the MDT Server and run this

dism /Get-MountedWimInfo

This returns an MDTUpdate.xxxx\Mount  dir with an image file of LiteTouchPE_x64.wim When this happens the only way I can continue is to run dism /unmount-Wim, and this fails to unmounts the wim, unless I have restarted the MDT server, if this is the case, I can unmounts the wim, otherwise I get a dism message saying that the process cannot continue because of a file lock, and I need to restart the MDT Server.

If I do not get the dismhost.exe crash message, the ISO file is created on completion of the wizard. If dism crashed, the iso file is not created.

I have not done any customising of the Offline Media rules, I want ot take it a step at a time and at least get a working iso file before I attempt to introduct some of the automation.

Has anyone seen this before, I can't find anything online about it?

Many Thanks

regards

John

Regards, John

Thursday, November 19, 2015 4:43 PM

Answers

• It couldn't be 2012 R2 because the OS version is 6.2.9200.

You might try disabling antivirus.

Also this might be something to file via connect and include the crash dump.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

• Marked as answer by JohnWarby Friday, December 4, 2015 12:48 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:12 PM

All replies

• OS MDT is installed on?

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 6:52 PM
  • Hi, Sorry for the delay in responding.

MDT Server is running Windows Server 2012.

Regards

John

Regards, John

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 5:03 PM
  • Hi,

A bit more info which may spread more light on the issue. I tried to create a second Offline Media iso file, this time with a Selection Profile for Windows Server 2012 R2 and some apps. Just a default media creation, no rules applied or anything complicated, becaue I wanted to see if it all worked for a non Win10 deployment. I get the same error - only this time the iso file is not created. The process crashed with this error:

Dism Host Servicing Process has stopped working:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: dismhost.exe

Application Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Application Timestamp: 559f3b71

Fault Module Name: wbemcore.dll_unloaded

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 559f3ae2

Exception Code: c00001a5

Exception Offset: 6b57ef6d

OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.272.7

Locale ID: 2057

The Windows ADK for Windows 10 is installed on the MDT Server, version is 10.0.26624

What am I doing wrong? I have done this before, albeit a long while ago for a Windows 8 ISO file and that worked perfectly.

Any advise gratefully accepted

Many Thanks

regards

John 

Regards, John

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 5:11 PM
  • It couldn't be 2012 R2 because the OS version is 6.2.9200.

You might try disabling antivirus.

Also this might be something to file via connect and include the crash dump.

• Marked as answer by JohnWarby Friday, December 4, 2015 12:48 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:12 PM
  • Hello Ty,

Thanks for your reply.

The OS on the MDT Server is Server 2012, the OS I was trying to built into the offline ISO file was Server 2012 R2. Both Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 10 fail to create the ISO file correctly with the same error.

I have added the MDT Offline Media folder to the exclusions directory so that the AV ignores it - the AV is locked down, so I can't turn it off.

How do I file something via connect, and how do I find the crash dump? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that?

Many Thanks

John  

Regards, John

Thursday, November 26, 2015 12:36 PM
  • Hello Again.

The AV Exclusion didn't work, the Update MEdia content wizard failed again with a DISMhost.exe error again.

regards

John

Regards, John

Thursday, November 26, 2015 3:33 PM
  • The driver might not be installed properly when the ADK was installed.  You could try: Installers\wimmountadksetupamd64.exe /install

Monday, November 30, 2015 9:25 PM
  • Hello Ty,

My apologies, I have not had a chance to look at this for most of the week. However things have moved on. The Offline iso file is now being created for my Windows 10 deployment. I can only think that the AV changes are the reason for the problem going away, nothing else has change. However, I am still getting the same error when I run the Update Media Content for a Server 2012 R2 Offline media ISO. I have amended the AV settings again to include the location the Windows Server ISO file is created, hopefully that will resolve that issue as well.

Many Thnaks for your advise and assistance

Regards

john

Regards, John

Friday, December 4, 2015 12:48 PM