none
can't add VM to protection group in DPM 2012 Sp1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have DPM 2012 SP1 UR2. OS for DPM server is windows 2008 R2 sp1. This DPM fine backups hundreds of VM on standalone Hyper-V based on windows 2008 R2 sp1.

On the other hand I have 2-node Hyper-V cluster based on Windows server 2012. There is only one VM on the cluster. And I can't add this VM to new PG (the VM is discovered in wizard).

What it's ? Is it supported configuration for DPM server on windows 2008 R2 when backup Hyper-V nodes on windows 2012 ?

Friday, June 7, 2013 1:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Did you export the VM from the standalone hyper-v server and import it on the Hyper-v cluster and use the existing uniqueID ?    If so, that is the reason, DPM can only protect the same guest once.  Try deleting it from the cluster and re-import but this time choose the option to create a new UniqueID.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 7, 2013 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you export the VM from the standalone hyper-v server and import it on the Hyper-v cluster and use the existing uniqueID ?    If so, that is the reason, DPM can only protect the same guest once.  Try deleting it from the cluster and re-import but this time choose the option to create a new UniqueID.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 7, 2013 4:14 PM
  • Hi, Mike.

Bingo! :)

I just delete VM (only metadata, not backup's data) from old PG and I successfully add VM to new PG for the cluster.

Thank you very much !!!

Friday, June 7, 2013 4:36 PM