Vista BSOD on boot nvlddmkm.sys RRS feed

• Question

• System:  Windows Vista Ultimate fully updated, Intel E6600, Nvidia 7600GT, 4Gb Ram, one LCD VGA and one lcd via DVI etc, nothing is over clocked

Problem:  I built this system 6 months ago and it has been running perfectly since. On August 27th my system tried to automatically update the existing Nvidia driver from Windows Update (groan, I know, I’ve changed it and will never let this happen again). My previous driver had been working perfectly. I was at work and came home, my system was unstable, I was getting TDR’s, artefacts on screen and before I could really work out what was going on my system crashed with BSOD on nvlddmkm.sys error 116.

Now it is in a loop. No matter what I do or what display drivers I try Vista always crashes on reboot with the same BSOD nvlddmkm.sys error 116.

With an Nvidia driver loaded I get a BSOD nvlddmkm.sys at boot with error 116. Regardless of driver – 97.46, 100.64, 162.22, 162.44 etc

If I let my system update itself, ie with a Microsoft minimal driver, it boots but all I get displayed is a blank black screen with a mouse cursor. Microsoft Nvidia WDDM driver 25/01/2007 So it shows a mouse cursor that actaully moves about but the desktop is not present, blank, black etc.

If I uninstall whatever driver is currently installed from safe mode, removing all driver files, removing those in system32 and renaming nvlddmkm.sys in system32/drivers, and then reboot, my system boots up with no driver file loaded for the adaptor at all. This actually allows me to boot into Vista and gives me a desktop but clearly this means I have no display driver running and have no more than basic display functionality.

I really need help. My own view is Windows update partially installed a driver or partially updated the driver that was on my system prior to August 27th. Somehow it never completed that operation and my system has residual registry entries that point to incorrect driver files.

I have tried sweeping registry and I did find residual NVidia files but they were minimal and when I installed driver again I had the same nvlddmkm.sts BSOD error.

I have two monitors one a Sony 17” LCD VGA and an LG 22” DVI. They were both working fine prior but now they don’t, obviously. I have seen messages about dual displays and the drivers/registry becoming confused. So I tried various configurations of monitor - VGA only, DVI only, connected to different ports etc. Each time same error BSOD nvlddmkm.sys 116.

It's now three weeks since this happened and my system is still farquhared. I need some serious help, I am way behind on some lucrative projects and I might pay for help to get this resolved. Help!!!

Saturday, September 8, 2007 9:26 AM

All replies

• Try to turn off UAC temporarily. Smile
    Saturday, September 8, 2007 9:54 AM
  • Code Snippet

Try again using Safe mode to install the drivers form the NVIDIA WebSite and
    be sure you follow the NVIDIA procedures for removing any old drivers first.
    Do NOT use WinUpdate to check on or obtain new drivers from MS for your
    card. There have been several reports recently of WinUpdate installing new
    NVIDIA drivers and causing problems like you one you are having.

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/12466-info-nvidia-driver-cleaning-guide.html
    Saturday, September 8, 2007 10:05 AM
  • Smiler, I have the same problem. Did you get your problem fixed?

Sunday, February 10, 2008 11:50 PM
  • I had the same problem. It was the graphics card. I was using a Leadtek 7950GX2. Vista refused to install at all until I swapped the 7950GX2 with a borrowed 8600GT. I'm currently using my old 7800GT until I can sort this out.

I've scoured the forums and nothing helps.  I've even tried re-inserting the 7950GX2 after the installation and updating to the latest drivers but when Vista loads the drivers for the 7950GX2 and restarts, the computer refuses to boot into Windows and keeps restarting.

Config:

AMD Phenom 9500

Gigabyte MA770 DS3 (FS3 bios update)

4GB DDR2-800 RAM

Leadtek 7950GX2

Dlink DI-547 Wifi PCI

Monday, February 11, 2008 10:33 AM
  • I have an HPdv9700 Laptop

•  NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
    • Intel Core 2 Duo   1.6,  1.7
    • 3GB RAM

I am having the BSOD as well. My HP Laptop was working fine. The only thing I noticed that was out of the ordinary is when I turned on my laptop; I saw that "Windows Defender" was updating in the taskbar. I thought it was a little weird, because I have it turned off. After a min or two of surfing, I logged into a game and after 5 - 10 mins of playing, it just randomly locked up with pink, black, and game graphic squares. I tried Alt + Tab, and the Windows Key, but was forced to do a hard reboot. While rebooting, I got BSOD just after the windows loading progress screen. The only way I could end the vicious cycle of blue was to go into "safe mode".

In safe mode I reverted to the drivers that came with my laptop. This allowed me to log in normally, but some visual functions worked. I can see the picture I use for my desktop, and GUI content except for thumbnails. I can use Mozilla and IE to view images, stream video (not play from HD). Outside of my browser I cannot look at any images, video, or games. These will show the same graphical errors I saw when my Laptop originally crashed. I also tried drivers from NVIDIA directly, but same old blue.

After that I tried:

·         Restore point

·         All drivers I could update.

·         Disabling UAC

·         Booting with one stick of RAM at a time.

·         Putting into sleep mode the reawakening.

·         Ensured BIOS was set to default

·         Flashed BIOS

·         Uninstalled and reinstalled Drivers

·         Windows classic theme

·         Best performance option in the system\ performance tool

·         Best performance in NVIDIA control panel

·         Ran mem test tool

I’m sure I forgot to list something I tried but o well.

At first I thought it might be some weird memory issue on the card, but I’m starting to think it’s the lovely Windows Vista.  If anyone knows any trouble shooting steps, or a performance degrading feature; please post it here.

*EDIT* I can play one game, Solitare. It comes up and says " Loading Resources (not responding) in the title bar for about 1 min. then a few screen flashes and nvld error bubbles later it loads.

YOU KNOW YOU GOT PROBLEMS WHEN YOU CANT PLAY SOLITAIRE! =)

Monday, January 12, 2009 5:55 AM
  • Did you get any solution for it? I have the same system configuration as yours and getting the same errors..

Do let me know if you get any solution or fix.

Thanks,

HPdv9700 Laptop

•  NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
    • Intel Core 2 Duo   1.6,  1.7
    • 3GB RAM

Monday, April 12, 2010 3:06 PM
  • one thing that you can do to get away from blue screen is change the display settings to "windows classic".

Remove the battery and reconnect after 10 minutes. This helps in at least loading up windows without safe mode.

Monday, April 12, 2010 8:40 PM