Exchange 2007 getting Event ID 628 on new database RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Exchange 2007 and have a recently created database that is throwing an event id 628 in the logs. Can anyone help with this. Maintenance is running 4 hours each night. The database size is 72GB. Below is the log entry. I created the database only a week ago.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: ESE
    Event Category: Performance
    Event ID: 628
    Date:  8/7/2012
    Time:  12:30:17 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: Exchange

Description:
    MSExchangeIS (6756) Exchange: Database 'C:\Exchange\Database.edb': While attempting to move to the next or previous node in a B-Tree, the database engine skipped over 1612 non-visible nodes in 29 pages. It is likely that these non-visible nodes are nodes which have been marked for deletion but which are yet to be purged. The database may benefit from widening the online maintenance window during off-peak hours in order to purge such nodes and reclaim their space. If this message persists, offline defragmentation may be run to remove all nodes which have been marked for deletion but are yet to be purged from the database.
     Name: MDB Event History Table
     Owning Table: MDB Event History Table
     ObjectId: 54
     PgnoRoot: 114
     Type: 2
     Unversioned Deletes: 0
     Uncommitted Deletes: 0
     Committed Deletes: 0
     Non-Visible Inserts: 1612

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 5:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Email Tech,

Firstly, please try to increase the online maintenance window for the database:

How to Set the Maintenance Schedule for a Database

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb629590(v=exchg.80).aspx

If the event still appears, please check whether Outlook users have the CRM Outlook Plugin installed.

Last but not least, if you place the database and logs on C drive(C:\Exchange\Database.edb), suggest you move the database and logs to another larger volume.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:08 AM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:28 AM

All replies

• Can you check your event logs and see how long its taking to complete a full pass on for online maintenance?

James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Hi Email Tech,

Firstly, please try to increase the online maintenance window for the database:

How to Set the Maintenance Schedule for a Database

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb629590(v=exchg.80).aspx

If the event still appears, please check whether Outlook users have the CRM Outlook Plugin installed.

Last but not least, if you place the database and logs on C drive(C:\Exchange\Database.edb), suggest you move the database and logs to another larger volume.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:08 AM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:28 AM
  • Hi Email Tech,

Any updates?

Frank Wang

Friday, August 10, 2012 2:51 AM
  • Hi Frank - I, too, am receiving a similar message, but only just recently did it appear.  My questions pertain to your suggestion of checking to see if Outlook users have the CRM Outlook plugin installed and enabled.  I have several users which fit that criteria.  Is there any reason as to what that would create this problem?

If so, what would be the recommended path to resolving this issue?

Furthermore, why would it only recently do this?  This has been an active Exchange instance for years and resides on a drive with over 500 GB of free space, so I know that's not the issue.

Much obliged in advance.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 4:58 PM