Can I not create a shortcut tool bar that isn't on the task bar? RRS feed

• Question

• There was a feature in vista/xp that I used quite a bit. You could create a tool bar on the side with shortcuts. I know you can add quick launch to the task bar but thats not quite what I'm looking for. I have several bat files and shortcuts pointing to the same exe for different options. I liked having that second tool bar dedicated to these since I left the lables on to know which ones they are. And they take up too much room on my task bar in the quick launch...

So is there a way to make that second tool bar like how you could in vista by dragging a folder to the side of the screen?

Friday, May 20, 2011 8:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I’m afraid Windows 7 has not this function to create another toolbar on the screen.

In Windows 7, toolbar is on the taskbar, we can add shortcuts in toolbar, but cannot  separate it to another space. That’s a by design behavior.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, May 30, 2011 5:57 AM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:32 AM

All replies

• true launch bar toolbar Windows 7 Toolbar, how to create it

So here are step-by-step instructions for creating a Windows 7 side toolbar:

1. Download True Launch Bar
    2. During installation and when you reach the “Quick Start Guide” page, click “Next”. For the purpose of this tutorial, you don’t need to apply the steps they mention to add the toolbar using that way.
    3. Uncheck the checkbox for updates button and click the “Finish” button.
    4. To launch the application we need, click the Windows “Start” button and then type “Standalone True Launch Bar” in the search bar until you see it under Programs, then press “Enter” to launch it.
    5. When the “Standalone True Launch Bar” dialog opens, look at the “Dock” section and for the “Dock side” drop down button, select where you want it to appear, I like to put it on the right side, so I select “Right”.
    6. For the “Full Row” checkbox, I prefer to leave it unchecked (and later I drag its bottom side to set its length)
    7. For the “Toolbar style” section, hit the “Taskbar” radio button.
    8. At the bottom left, check the “Run on system startup” checkbox, so that you can have the toolbar always load when your computer starts
    9. and then click the “Ok” button

You will notice that a bar appears on the top right of your desktop. It will contain links of what is in the Windows (actually Internet Explorer) Quick launch toolbar.  For this tutorial, we don’t need it at all.

Now, do the following to setup the folder of your choice as a toolbar to make it contain your links and shortcuts:

1. Create a folder. As an example, I have created a folder in “My Documents” and named it “My Links”
    2. Right click over the toolbar, and select “Switch toolbar”, then click “Manage Toolbars…”
    3. With the Toolbars tab selected, click the “New” button
    4. Browse to your folder. In our Case, it’s in My Documents > My Links
    5. click the “OK” button. Then click “Ok” again for the “True Launch Bar settings” dialog
    6. Now, right click again over the True Launch Bar toolbar, and select “Switch toolbar” then click “My Links”

Few more steps to have the toolbar satisfy my needs!

When you right click over the “True Launch Bar” toolbar you will see a set of options, the following was done after right clicking…

1. click “Show Text” so that we can see the actual shortcut name next to its icon.
    2. “Taskbar mode” , if checked , the bar will act like a sidebar in a way that when you maxmize a window, it cannot ovelap with it. Note: You might not see this behavior directly, but when you restart the PC it will act like that. If you uncheck it, which I like to set, a window can be maximized to its full. And also, it will allow you to put desktop icons below the toolbar.
    3. click “Always On Top” to uncheck it so that you can see the full window when maximized.

And now, drag and drop whatever shortcuts you want to the toolbar, or go to its folder directly and add them there.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, May 20, 2011 8:38 PM
  • is the only way to do this a third party app? Kind of annoying they don't have such a simple thing that was included in both prior OS's ...
    Friday, May 20, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Hi,

I’m afraid Windows 7 has not this function to create another toolbar on the screen.

In Windows 7, toolbar is on the taskbar, we can add shortcuts in toolbar, but cannot  separate it to another space. That’s a by design behavior.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, May 30, 2011 5:57 AM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:32 AM