"Please Wait" screen during boot - need verbose information RRS feed

• Question

• When Windows 7 boots in a domain environment, users are typically presented with a "Please Wait" screen in front of the default background and then eventually presented with a CTRL+ALT+DEL logon screen.

Under Windows XP, some pretty valuable information could be gained before boot such as "Applying security policy, applying computer settings, etc", but the most valuable was the information that could be retrieved from Group Policy processing.

For example, if I deploy a new version of Adobe Reader via Group Policy, Windows XP (after booting and before logon) will show "Installing Adobe Acrobat Reader 9" and it lets the user/administrator have a better idea of what's going on before they are presented with a logon prompt.

Now, I have found the settings in Group Policy regarding "Run startup scripts visible" and have already found how to get startup scripts to provide feedback.  I am now concerned with whether there is a way to get feedback from the other things that are running "pre-logon", especially Group Policy processing.

If the answer is simply "No, it's not available", that is fine but I would just like to hear it from the horse's mouth :-)

Of course, I am hoping for an obscure registry key somewhere that turns on a verbose boot option.

Thanks very much!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:21 PM

Answers

• Computer GPO setting.

Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > System > Verbose vs normal status messages.

• Proposed as answer by btenney Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by heatfan2010 Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:13 PM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:40 PM

All replies

• Not usre there is a GPO's related to msconfig settings, if so use that, otherwise use the settings on the local machine. 

e.g from run > msconfig. From the Boot tab you can specify boot options:

• No Gui boot
    • Boot Log
    • Base Video
    • OS Boot Information

To display the non gui boot, use 'no gui boot' which will display all the drivers, other settings & so on that are loaded during this pre-logon process.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Computer GPO setting.

Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > System > Verbose vs normal status messages.

• Proposed as answer by btenney Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by heatfan2010 Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:13 PM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:40 PM
  • btenney, this was EXACTLY what I was looking for!  Thanks very much!
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:13 PM