none
No In-Place Archive in OWA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    after migrating mailboxes from On-Premises Exchange 2010 to Office 365, users cannot access their archives in OWA. There is no problem using Outlook (2013/2016). Online archives are shown correctly and accessible. Mailbox types (for migrated mailboxes) in Office 365 ECP are "User (Archive)". Archives was enabled for users before migration.

Additionally when I check details for archive, there is no name (the field is empty).
    When I type a name and try to save settings, an error occurs:

The operation on mailbox "User1" failed because it's out of the current user's write scope. The action 'Set-Mailbox', 'ArchiveName', can't be performed on the object 'User1' because the object is being synchronized from your on-premises organization. This action should be performed on the object in your on-premises organization.

Of course I cannot change User's archive name from On-Premises because there is no such mailbox since I migrated it to Online.

Does anyone know what is wrong?

Sunday, February 11, 2018 9:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

sorry for delayed answer.

The problem was that the archive mailbox had no name. It was not possible to name the archive using O365, but it had to be done using ecp on a hybrid exchange 2016 server.

So naming the archive solved the problem. After about an hour the archive was visible in OWA.

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJFModerator Friday, February 23, 2018 2:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by ami-meu Monday, February 26, 2018 9:40 AM
    Friday, February 23, 2018 11:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is it an In-place archive for this effected mailbox?

If so, I suppose it's an known behavior. You can check the description in Scenario 1 under below link:
    Archive mailbox issues for a mailbox that's migrated to or from Office 365

Quota:
    The issue in scenario 1 was resolved as follows: All onboarding migrations to Exchange Online are addressed and the ArchiveDomain property is no longer set until the archive mailbox is enabled by the tenant administrator. 

Before this issue was resolved, users reported the presence of an archive mailbox in Outlook and received authentication prompts. However, users can't see the same archive mailbox in Outlook Web App. (Microsoft refers to the archive as a "ghost archive" because it is not a true archive mailbox that can be accessed by users.

Moreover, we need configure those migrated mailboxes in On-premise Exchange tool because the authority of those attributes. Thus, we need at least one On-premise Exchange server to manage it. For your reference:
    Office 365 and Dirsync: Why should you have at least one Exchange Server on-premises

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, February 12, 2018 3:53 AM
  • Hi,

Any further concern about your question?

If my suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as answer. Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 12:35 PM
  • Hi,

sorry for delayed answer.

The problem was that the archive mailbox had no name. It was not possible to name the archive using O365, but it had to be done using ecp on a hybrid exchange 2016 server.

So naming the archive solved the problem. After about an hour the archive was visible in OWA.

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJFModerator Friday, February 23, 2018 2:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by ami-meu Monday, February 26, 2018 9:40 AM
    Friday, February 23, 2018 11:49 AM
  • Thanks for your update and sharing.
    Please mark your solution as answer, it would be helpful for other community.

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Friday, February 23, 2018 2:44 PM