How to create Servers on a Virtual Machine? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Community

I have Windows Server 2008 Enterprise edition.

I installed Hyper-V Manager on it.

Next I created 2 Virtual Machines on the Windows Server 2008 Enterprise edition.

One of the Virtual Machines needs to be a Domain Controller and contain SQL Server.

The other Virtual Machine needs to be a Member Server containing Sharepoint and be in
    the domain where Domain Controller Virtual Machine resides

How do I install the Windows Server 2008 Enterprise edition, SQL Server and Sharepoint Software on the
    Virtual Machines and do I need to install "Hyper-V Server 2008 R2" anywhere?

Thank you
        Shabeaut

• Edited by Shabeaut Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:43 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:41 PM

Answers

• Hi!

You need to enable the Hyper-V role on your physical server. If it's unavailable then you probably have installed a 32-bit version of Windows Server 2008. Hyper-V is a 64-bit server role that requires a 64-bit Win2008/2008R2 OS and a 64-bit CPU with DEP and virtualization support.

Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 is a free Core server edition that only includes the Hyper-V server role. It's a complete operating system that can't be installed on top of another OS.

Once Hyper-V is enabled, you can create and install virtual machines using the Hyper-V manager. You install them like you would with any other server with installation DVD or ISO file using the Virtual Machine Console included in Hyper-V manager.

• Proposed as answer by Romeo MlinarMVP Saturday, February 4, 2012 5:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shabeaut Sunday, February 5, 2012 11:48 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 2:39 PM