OS Windows 10 Pro- Updates separately for each new user profile? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone on the forum,

We have set up an ICT Computer Lab and installed official Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit OS in a Core i3 Computer, with the purpose to teach ICT Computers to Children studying in grade 6 to 10 IGCSE Cambridge board. Our set up is as follows:- 

Set up:- Windows Server 2012 + 10 Computers connected to server domain having OS windows 10 professional 64 bit + 24 port Switch for LAN networking etc. 

Observation: What we have observed in last 2 months forces me to ask a question in this forum, because this matter is causing a lot of issue in normal day to day functioning. Every time a new user profile of s student is created, (even if Windows OS was updated just 3 hours back for a different old user), the system starts updating windows OS all over again for this new user profile. 

Question:- (1) Does this mean that Windows 10 Pro OS maintains its OS and updates separately and individually for each user profile ? 
    (2) If Yes - Is there a way where we can configure the OS in a way where it updates commonly for all users including those that may be created in future? 

Kindly do share your experience and knowledge for me to understand this scenario. 

Thanks / Pinesh Mehta
    Friday, August 5, 2016 6:14 PM

Answers

•   There is only one OS per machine, not one per user, so what you are seeing are not updates for the OS. I would guess that they are apps, as David suggested.

Bill

Saturday, August 6, 2016 6:39 AM
  • Hi Pinesh Mehta,

For the new user, the only thing I could think of is the metro app. It is based on user.
    We could try to disable the app automatic update here to have a test.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, August 8, 2016 7:42 AM

All replies

• Hello,

What updates are you seeing installed per user?

Do you have some examples of what was updated?

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 5, 2016 11:03 PM
  • Keep in mind that most "applications" are sandboxes and are installed when a user logs in. Ie. Anything that shows on the start menu grid. Unfortunately I do not know if there is a way to get around this other than by disabling them.
    Saturday, August 6, 2016 1:39 AM
  •   There is only one OS per machine, not one per user, so what you are seeing are not updates for the OS. I would guess that they are apps, as David suggested.

Bill

Saturday, August 6, 2016 6:39 AM
  • Hi Pinesh Mehta,

For the new user, the only thing I could think of is the metro app. It is based on user.
    We could try to disable the app automatic update here to have a test.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, August 8, 2016 7:42 AM