none
The used disk space on the computer running DPM for the replica of System Protection has exceeded the threshold value of 90%.... RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running DPM 2010 for the last 4 months with no issues, product works great. We just purchased a 4TB iSCSI to use as external storage for the DPM. I have all of my server data on the DPM iSCSI LUN except for 4 servers. I cant get the system state backed up. i have 7 other server system states backed up no problems, exchange dag and so on. I allocated a 1.4TB LUN to the DPM and there is still aprox 400GB left.

I have installed WSB and all of that. these servers where backed up prior to the iSCSI move. any recomendations?

In the event viewer i get a few diffrent errors

The used disk space on the computer running DPM for the replica of System Protection has exceeded the threshold value of 90%, or there is not enough disk space to accommodate the changed data. If you do not allocate more disk space, synchronization jobs may fail. (ID: 3100)

The replica for System Protection is currently being synchronized with consistency check. A consistency check can be started automatically or manually. To configure automatic consistency check options, modify this protection group using the Modify Protection Group Wizard. To start a manual consistency check, click Perform Consistency Check from the Actions pane on the Protection tab. (ID: 3104)

The replica of System Protection on rt-svr-pdc.thunder.ca is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. (ID: 3106)

Thanks in advance

Friday, December 17, 2010 12:30 AM

Answers

• Okay, if I understand, for this server you have selected BMR (which automatically selects system state as well).  In that case, you need to determine how large the BMR will be and make sure the volume DPM is using for it on the DPM server is large enough.  The protected server will not be used at all in this case.

So, back to my other question:

For Windows 2008:

Start -> All Programs -> Windows Server Backup

On the right, Backup Once...

When selecting backup configuration, choose Custom

Select C: and check the box for Enable system recovery.

On the Select bakcup destination page, see what the Backup item size is.

For 2008 R2:

Open Windows Server Backup

(doing this off memory from here) Choose Custom

"Add Items" and check the box for "BMR"

At this point, it will fill in what drives it needs for that.  Note the drive letters and then look at each in explorer to see how much data is on each.  What is the total for those drives?

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:41 PM

All replies

• I would start with the actual disk allocation for the new protection group and extend that.  DPM will do it automatically for you but it may not be enough.  Right click on the system state that is failing and select to "Modify Disk Allocation".  This will show you the sizes of the volumes and if you have selected to automatically grow them.  This is also where you can increase the size of the volume it is using.
    Thanks, Chris Bu - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, December 17, 2010 5:02 PM
  • This doesent seem to be the issue. I added a 1.4TB LUN to DPM and the first protection group i created as the BMC and System State and it still failed. the total for the protection group was 103GB so thats only aprox 7% of the allocated space.
    Friday, December 17, 2010 8:23 PM
  • Was this problem ever resolved?  I am encountering the same issue.  We recently added another storage array to our backup server and added several more DPM clients.  I am now receiving this error on a couple of the newly added machines.  I doubled the replica size of the system state to 60GB but it's currently only using 91MB and fails pretty much instantly.  Everything else is backing up fine.  There is plenty of room on the C disk of the server being backed up, and it is only occruing on the system states.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave.

Affected area: Computer\System Protection
    Occurred since: 3/9/2011 9:54:02 AM
    Description: The used disk space on the computer running DPM for the replica of System Protection Computer\System Protection has exceeded the threshold value of 90%, or there is not enough disk space to accommodate the changed data. If you do not allocate more disk space, synchronization jobs may fail. (ID 3100)
     More information
    Recommended action: 
     Allocate more disk space for the replica. If no free disk space is available in the storage pool, you may need to add physical disks to the computer running DPM.
     Allocate more disk space for replica...
    Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
     Inactivate alert
    Affected area: Computer\System Protection
    Occurred since: 3/9/2011 9:54:02 AM
    Description: The replica of System Protection Computer\System Protection on CONNHUB3.connect.uwaterloo.ca is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent.

For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with the databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)
     DPM is out of disk space for the replica. (ID 58 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FF)
     More information
    Recommended action: Ensure there are no pending disk threshold alerts active for this data source and rerun the job. DPM may have automatically grown the volume and resolved the alerts.
     Synchronize with consistency check.
     Modify Disk Allocation ...
     Run a synchronization job with consistency check...
    Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
     Inactivate alert

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 4:37 PM
  • In addition this is the error from the client side. 

The backup operation attempted at '‎2011‎-‎03‎-‎09T14:53:20.358000200Z' has failed to start, error code '2155348040' (There is not enough free space on the backup storage location to back up the data.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Since it is failing immediately and you only have 91Mb used on the replica volume in DPM, the issue is likely on the protected server.  Go to the protected server that is failing and run wbadmin and have it take a system state backup to the C: volume and see if that works.  Also look in the event logs there for any failures with wbadmin or backup jobs.
    Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Based on the second error, it sounds like you may be doing BMR/System state.  That is a different process.  Verify on the DPM server if you have selected System State OR BMR/System State.

If it is BMR, then run WSB and look to see how large and what files it is trying to capture.

If you verified that you are only doing System State, then you need to look at \Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\datasources\PSdataSourceConfig.xml file and see where it is trying to create the file and make sure there is enough space there.  Try to do it manually to that location with wbadmin.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Hey Chris thanks I was able to do both a wbadmin backup and a backup of the system state using WSB, but DPM is still failing.  Here is my PSdataSourceConfig.xml file but it is the same as another server almost identical to it.  So I'm not sure where to look from here.  I've been running DPM for 3 years now and I've never seem this issue. 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <PSDatasourcesConfig xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2003/dls/PSDatasourceConfig.xsd">

<DatasourceConfig><WriterId>7B2E4C3D-876F-4535-B5C9-B344D4F05120</WriterId>
    <Version>01.00.0000.00</Version>
    <VssWriterInvolved>false</VssWriterInvolved>
    <LogicalPath>Computer</LogicalPath>
    <ComponentName>DisconnectedClient</ComponentName>
    <FilesToProtect/>
    <FilesToExclude/>
    <FileSpecRecursive>true</FileSpecRecursive>
    <Size>1024</Size>
    <UseDRWithCC>true</UseDRWithCC>
    </DatasourceConfig>
    <
    DatasourceConfig>
    <WriterId>8c3d00f9-3ce9-4563-b373-19837bc2835e</WriterId>
    <LogicalPath>Computer</LogicalPath>
    <ComponentName>System Protection</ComponentName>
    <FilesToProtect>D:\WindowsImageBackup\*</FilesToProtect>
    <Size>51200</Size>
    </DatasourceConfig>

<DatasourceConfig>
    <LogicalPath>Computer\System Protection</LogicalPath>
    <ComponentName>System State</ComponentName>
    <FilesToProtect/>
    <Size>10240</Size>
    </DatasourceConfig>

<DatasourceConfig>
    <LogicalPath>Computer\System Protection</LogicalPath>
    <ComponentName>Bare Metal Recovery</ComponentName>
    <FilesToProtect/>
    <Size>51200</Size>
    </DatasourceConfig></PSDatasourcesConfig>

Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:53 PM
  • Okay, so next we need to verify one way or the other what you are protecting on this server.  Is it System State (only) or BMR/System State?
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Everything else is backing up fine, it's just the BMR and System State, never of these have ever backed up.

Dave.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:29 PM
  • Okay, if I understand, for this server you have selected BMR (which automatically selects system state as well).  In that case, you need to determine how large the BMR will be and make sure the volume DPM is using for it on the DPM server is large enough.  The protected server will not be used at all in this case.

So, back to my other question:

For Windows 2008:

For 2008 R2:

Open Windows Server Backup

(doing this off memory from here) Choose Custom

"Add Items" and check the box for "BMR"

At this point, it will fill in what drives it needs for that.  Note the drive letters and then look at each in explorer to see how much data is on each.  What is the total for those drives?

Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:41 PM
  • I am having the same issue.  Chris is leading you in the right directions.

My findings are as follows.

If you run the following command, it will tell you what it will backup C and D drive. ( You need to create a share call bmrshare on some server before running the command)

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare

In my case if the C drive is 50G and D drive is 300G and it would give the error not enough disk space on DPM server.

I had no issues with Baremetal with no D drive or D drive with smaller size like 30G.

I would recommend running these commands on different servers and see which ones are the culprit ones.

PS: In 2008 - Baremetal recovery means all the drives and not just the C drive.

Not sure if there is a way to exclude the D Drive, that would fix my issue. At my place we don't want to capture D drive for now. I only need C drive and system state if possible.

Chris, Is there a way to eliminate D and other drives while doing Baremetal ?

Regards,

Parvez Kasmani

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:25 PM