Why is IE 10 on Win 7 blocking Flash content RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am running Windows 7 and IE 10. IE 10 is blocking Flash content coming from my website. When I remove IE 10 and revert to IE 9 the Flash content runs fine. Firefox and Chrome do not block my website's flash content.

Can someone tell me how to stop IE 10 from blocking flash content??

Thank you for any help you can give.

Regards

Thomas

• Edited by tk748 Friday, May 3, 2013 3:00 PM
    Friday, May 3, 2013 2:55 PM

Answers

• Hello again Thomas.

I got your site's link last night from your other post on msdn.  It was intermission then, and it still is now.  So I can't really see the problem you explained.

But I did notice a few things which might be helpful to mention.

First.  I was able to step thru various swf screens by right-clicking the flash view window.  That opens a menu which gives options like Rewind and Forward.  I was able to view several interesting lotto-like screens doing that, like this and this and this.  (That was fun).  But of interest here, I noticed this.  When I click rewind, then re-open that flash menu (but haven't clicked forward next), FireFox and IE10 do different things.  Firefox stops the timer in the upper right corner.  IE10 keeps counting downward.  Rather erratically.  In fact, in general, the timer in IE10 can sometimes be seen to be downcounting in 5-10 sec spurts that are only 1 sec apart.  So, there's something there your flash developer should be made aware of.  Maybe if that timer issue was resolved, the other sequencing which depends on it would be resolved too.

Also, I did peer into your html just a tiny bit and found the iframe.  Well, that's just way complicated for me to look at.  But I did spot the GET to this URL, which initiates all the swf's that then get displayed.  eg, random-number-raffle.swf?n=time().  However, when I try to visit that URL directly, apparently without the cookie your server expects, there is no response whatsoever from your server.  I guess that's how your dev's set it up for security purposes.

The reason I mention the server timeout in the paragraph above is this.  In your other thread, you explained that when you are having the trouble with the swf's hanging up (with IE10), you also cannot log into your server at that moment.  You weren't crystal clear what you meant by that. I suppose you mean while you are viewing your (hung-up) webpage from IE10, you open a separate tab in the same IE10 instance on that computer, and try to log-in to your server to examine things.  But it won't let you in.  So you suspect somehow IE10 is blocking some ports, or ...?   I am going to offer this alternative guess.  Possibly your site's security is recognizing your IP address (that is already playing the hung-up swf at that moment), and it is blocking the second access from that same IP.

EDIT

About that URL and the server timeout.  I just clicked the link I posted above, and now it lets me in.  Here's what it looked like each time I checked before this post (and last night too).  Here's how it looked when it responded just now.  Odd.  Maybe this is a clue.

Sunday, May 5, 2013 8:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You probably have ActiveX filtering turned on..

for questions about html, css and scripting of website please post to the MSDN web development forum with a link to your website.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Saturday, May 4, 2013 12:24 AM
  • Hi Rob

Thank you for responding.

No, the ActiveX filtering is not on. At least it is not checked in the Tools menu.

I will repost in the MSDN forum.

Regards

Thomas Kleppinger

Saturday, May 4, 2013 2:00 PM