none
Office 2007 Language retention issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I have an issue where Office 2007 in a Terminal Services/Citrix environment isn't retaining the language settings which the user sets. This is occuring for multiple sites with different versions of Office 2007 - so obviously we're doing something wrong with our setup.

Symptoms:
    -Open any Office application (Word for example) and the language that appears in the Status Bar is "English (US)"
    -Open the Office 2007 language application and I currently have "English (Australia)" and "English (US)" installed. "English (Australia)" is set to the default language.

Attempted Solutions:
    -Modify Normal.dotm and NormalEmail.dotm so the default language is set to "English (Australia)"
    -Removing the "English (US)" from the Office 2007 Language Application appears to work, but upon reloading the application "English (US)" is still installed.
    -Removed all Non-English (Australia) settings from the Regional and Language options.
    -Deleted a registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0
    -Manually set all languages in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\LanguageResources from 1033 to 3081 (Microsoft Locale code for Australia)
    -Disable "Detect language automatically" in the set Language utility inside Word (Review->set Language). Have also used the "default" button in this applet.
    -Installed Office 2007 SP2
    -Set the default editing language to "English (Australia)" with the Office 2007 GPOL Add-in
    -Import the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0 key & subkeys from a working profile on another machine.

EDIT:
    We also have tried reinstalling office with a modified config.xml that contained the following lines:
    <AddLanguage Id="en-AU"/>
    <RemoveLanguage Id="en-US" />

-Blake

• Edited by BBurgess-DS Monday, May 11, 2009 7:17 AM More Information
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:50 AM

All replies

• Did you have any luck? I have the same problem.

Have you tried the Office 2007 ADM group policy stuff?
    Friday, June 5, 2009 4:30 AM
  • Blake,

The reason it does not keep your language is due to the fact Citrix does not properly close published programs (at least in my experience with MS 2007 applications), my solution was to create a good NormalEmail.dotm / Normal.dotm files on the server  (I did this by making changes and closing it in a RDP session).

Now you can grab your good .dotm files and place them in the proper folder for your users, that generally worked for me.

Personally I recommend keeping the good .dotm files some place handy since it was a weekly issue for us before we switched to Remote App.

solutions are not always answers

• Proposed as answer by ChadChadChad Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:00 PM
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:55 PM