none
DC and client machine connectivity - Hyper V RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm fairly new to setting up a server and creating a virtual network, so I'm looking for some assistance to help me out.

I'm running Hyper-V through a 64 bit OS and I have two virtual machines created locally. My DC machine which is running Server 2012 Essentials, and my client machine which is running Windows 8.1.

When initially installing the DC, I created a domain as part of the initial server set up. For testing purposes, and as this is a lab, I called it TEST. When creating the domain completely the FQDN is TEST.local.

As I'm running this through Hyper V, I've added internal network connections to the settings of both machines, in preparation for them talking to each other in the future.

As I say, I'm very new to this, and I know it's not just a case of joining the client machine to the domain as I'm sure that certain pre requisites need to be in place first. I'd added the client machine into the Computers container in AD and also created a domain users account on the DC.

As I say, there's more for me to do here. I just need to be put in the right direction of what needs to be done.

One thing to mention is when I try to join the client machine to TEST.local, it didn't give me the chance to authenticate. It just says that the DC cannot be contacted. However, when I try to join the client machine to TEST, it asks me to login but it eventually fails because it cannot be contacted. As I'm not able to connect to TEST.local, is this due to DNS?

Sorry if this has already been covered in a previous post, but I did have a quick look and couldn't see anything that covers what I need.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, January 29, 2016 8:29 AM

Answers

• Hi:

I'm going to assume that the host machine is Server 2012 R2.... correct me if that is not right.

Then you installed the HV role and created two VMs.  The first is Essentials but is it Server 2012 R2 with the Essentials role, or the SKU.  Asking mostly for clarity because it really does not matter.  The second is Windows 8.1 PRO correct?

Please look at this blog post that outlines the requirements for each Server and Client in the SBS/Essentials family:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2015/11/17/client-connector-availability-with-windows-home-server-small-business-server-and-windows-server-essentials-for-supported-client-os.aspx

Now examine your VM's and make certain they have proper IPs assigned in the same range, and different from the host machine.  For this test you can make them both static if you wish.  Verify they can ping each other by name as well as IP.  Verify that the DNS server is the IP of the Essential server in both cases.

Then open a browser on the client machine and type http://your-server-name/connect.

Let us know how it goes.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Friday, January 29, 2016 12:17 PM
  • Essentials provides everything you need for a small network.  The key is having DNS on the Essentials server and every nic in the Essentials LAN should point to the IP of the Essentials server for DNS.  You should then be able to ping the server/station back and forth by IP or by name, and to RDP by IP or Name.  I would not worry much about connecting from the host to either, but if all else fails you could add them to the hosts file on the host system.  You could enable DHCP on the router OR the Essentials server, but both the host and the server should have static IP addresses.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Friday, January 29, 2016 2:45 PM

All replies

• Hi:

I'm going to assume that the host machine is Server 2012 R2.... correct me if that is not right.

Then you installed the HV role and created two VMs.  The first is Essentials but is it Server 2012 R2 with the Essentials role, or the SKU.  Asking mostly for clarity because it really does not matter.  The second is Windows 8.1 PRO correct?

Please look at this blog post that outlines the requirements for each Server and Client in the SBS/Essentials family:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2015/11/17/client-connector-availability-with-windows-home-server-small-business-server-and-windows-server-essentials-for-supported-client-os.aspx

Now examine your VM's and make certain they have proper IPs assigned in the same range, and different from the host machine.  For this test you can make them both static if you wish.  Verify they can ping each other by name as well as IP.  Verify that the DNS server is the IP of the Essential server in both cases.

Then open a browser on the client machine and type http://your-server-name/connect.

Let us know how it goes.

Friday, January 29, 2016 12:17 PM
  • Thanks for the info Larry. It's very helpful. Looking at the link you've provided, it looks like my requirements are ok.

My host machine is actually Windows 10 x64. From here the Hyper V features have been enabled to access VM's to be added locally.

My server machine is 2012 R2 Essentials and my client machine is Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

As I'm using internal network settings between the VM's, I won't be using DHCP, as I'm only covering a network of a server and client. With that said, do I need to assign a static IP on the adapter for both the client and the server? I'll also set the DNS server as the same IP as the server on the DC adapter settings.

I think the missing piece here is setting the IP ranges between the two VM's. I can actually ping them both independently from my host machine, but I couldn't UNC to them. Is this because the DNS IP wasn't set? When I checked it was pointing to 127.0.0.1. When I tried to UNC to one of the IP's, it asked me to authenticate logging onto the domain name which was my host machine, so I'm not sure if it's possible for me to do this.

Also - Do I need to setup a subnet within sites and services on the DC? Or can I get away with just setting static IP's independently?

Please confirm and then I'll try accessing http://test.local/connect once everything else is in place.

Thanks again in advance Larry.

Friday, January 29, 2016 1:41 PM
  • Essentials provides everything you need for a small network.  The key is having DNS on the Essentials server and every nic in the Essentials LAN should point to the IP of the Essentials server for DNS.  You should then be able to ping the server/station back and forth by IP or by name, and to RDP by IP or Name.  I would not worry much about connecting from the host to either, but if all else fails you could add them to the hosts file on the host system.  You could enable DHCP on the router OR the Essentials server, but both the host and the server should have static IP addresses.

Friday, January 29, 2016 2:45 PM
  • Great stuff.

Thanks for help.

Friday, January 29, 2016 5:13 PM