Sequenced Outlook opens App-V Client for Attachments? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm running into a very strange issue...ONE (of the many clients) that I have running an App-V virtualized Outlook 2007 has a problem opening email attachments. If the attachment is opened from within Outlook (from the email), it looks like the App-V client attempts to install and then fails. If the user copies the attachment to their desktop and launches it from there, it opens just fine...keep in mind this is only on one of my clients - the rest work just fine...Where do I even begin to look to troubleshoot this issue???

Here's a screencap of the error the client receives:

App-V Error

Any help on this is much appreciated!!!
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 12:02 AM

Answers

• No pre-cached applications, just the App-V client. Yes, SYSPREP was used on the image during the imaging process. I've since reimaged the PC which resolved the issue, but I still have no idea what caused the problems shown here.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:52 AM
    Monday, December 27, 2010 11:56 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Would seem that something is triggering a repair with the App-V client... long time ago since I did but any possible conflict with a resource could trigger this. I do agree - when it does it seems odd...

/Znack
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 4:06 PM
  • Thanks Znack...Could you be more specific? "Conflict with a resource" could mean anything.

Thanks so much,

Jeremy

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:33 PM
  • Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:42 AM
  • No luck... I've even tried removing and reinstalling the App-V client. Thanks for your help Znack; if you or anyone else has a suggestion on this, I'm all ears!! This is an ultra frustrating issue.
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:24 PM
  • How was the App-V client installed? For everyone or just the current user (ALLUSER=)
    Friday, November 19, 2010 12:28 AM
  • Hi Steve -

The App-V client was simply installed on the base image of the machine. I didn't know it was even possible to install it only for a specific user...how can I verify this?

Friday, November 19, 2010 3:30 PM
  • Hello,

Since its a single-client - why not just reimage / reinstall since you seem to have several other clients without this issue?

/Znack
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Hey Znack -

Primarily because I want to know why this is happening. If reimaging fixes the issue, it then goes into my "I sure hope that doesn't happen when we do a full App-V roll out" category.

Monday, November 29, 2010 1:54 PM
  • Hello,

My suggestion then would be to use process Monitor to determine all background activity and determine what of that activity that triggers the repair.

/Znack
    Monday, November 29, 2010 8:33 PM
  • In regards to your imaging process: Were any application pre-cached prior to creating the master image or just the App-V Client? Also, was SYSPREP used to generalize the image?
    Steve Thomas, SSEE, Microsoft
    App-V/MED-V/SCVMM/SCCM/AppCompat
    http://madvirtualizer.wordpress.com/
    The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
    The MED-V Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv
    The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/

“This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all risks.”
    Monday, December 27, 2010 10:10 PM
  • No pre-cached applications, just the App-V client. Yes, SYSPREP was used on the image during the imaging process. I've since reimaged the PC which resolved the issue, but I still have no idea what caused the problems shown here.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:52 AM
    Monday, December 27, 2010 11:56 PM