none
System Locks-up at the "Applying Changes..." boot Screen. RRS feed

• Question

• The title says it all... I have 38 GX520 systems, all of which lock up during the automatic update reboot at 3am. We come in every morning, and all the systems have to be manually rebooted because they're all locked up. Our GX620's, GX745, GX755... etc, don't have this issue. Any ideas?

-Christopher.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 6:56 AM

Answers

• Hey Sean,

Sorry, I've been spending a lot time updating our systems as I've figured out a resolution to this issue. Apparently the GX520's came with the A03 & A06 BIOS... these versions have a terrible time with steady state v2.5.  If you are running A01, or upgrade to A11 it resolves the issue. Thanks for your time on this one.

-Christopher.
    US Navy MWR.
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:01 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Christopher

Thanks for posting here!

As we do not have GX520 or 620 series computer in our test environment, I would appreciate your help to comfirm the following points with us:

1.       Are you using Windows XP/Vista with OEM version or Retail version?

2.       Does this issue occur if we restore the system by using the OEM disk or using the image in the computer?

3.       If you have retail version of Windows XP or Windows Vista, could you help to perform a clean install on one of the problematic computer and see the result?

Thank you for your time and effort!

Friday, December 5, 2008 12:32 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Sean.

1.       Are you using Windows XP/Vista with OEM version or Retail version?

We are using a retail version of Windows XP Professional Corporate VLK.

2.       Does this issue occur if we restore the system by using the OEM disk or using the image in the computer?
    We don't use OEM disks, we have a ghost image that we use to (re)image our systems.

3.       If you have retail version of Windows XP or Windows Vista, could you help to perform a clean install on one of the problematic computer and see the result?

We've done this, after SP3 is installed it seems that the issue occurs.

-Christopher
    Friday, December 5, 2008 5:42 PM
  •  

Hi Christopher, thanks for the update. Can you log on the computer if the issue occur? Can you log on under Safe Mode? If so, please help to collect the following log file for further research:

WindowsUpdate log

=================

Please navigate to C:\Windows, locate and send the latest "WindowsUpdate.log" file to me. (Note: There may be another file named "Windows Update.log" and what I request is the file without a space in the middle of the filename.)

Setupapi.log under %Windir%

Please send the log file to me. 

Thank you for your time.

Monday, December 8, 2008 10:08 AM
  •  

As I have not heard from you in a couple of days, I'd like to know the current situation of the issue. This is just a quick note to see if there is anything else that I can do to help regarding this issue. Thank you for your time.  

Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:11 AM
  • Hey Sean,

Sorry, I've been spending a lot time updating our systems as I've figured out a resolution to this issue. Apparently the GX520's came with the A03 & A06 BIOS... these versions have a terrible time with steady state v2.5.  If you are running A01, or upgrade to A11 it resolves the issue. Thanks for your time on this one.

-Christopher.
    US Navy MWR.
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:01 AM
  •  

Christopher,

Since you solved your problem, you may never see this post but if you do, I want to thank you for your brilliant solution. I have been struggling with this problem for weeks. Half of my Dell Optiplex GX520's worked and the other half didn't until I checked the BIOS's as you suggested. Sure enough I had the A03 in half of them and when I updated to the A11 version, Steady State no longer hangs up at 3 AM. Thanks again.

DonD95

Sunday, January 4, 2009 1:49 AM