Continuing update failure problems, "Not running real Windows" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

About 2 weeks ago I started getting a message on my computer screen "Not running Genuine Windows". I am most definitely running genuine windows. I checked the archives here and tried a fix that popped up, no joy.

It gave a fix option, which failed...generating error code 800706F7 again. I called tech support, a lady spent two hours working on the computer and could not fix it. She sent me to level two tech support, he called on New Years Day and worked on it for a couple of hours and thought it was fixed.

The error message is back, the computer will not accept updates from windows updates.com, tells me to install update fix it, did so, still fails to install updates. This is becoming a nightmare, please help.

Saturday, January 17, 2015 4:58 PM

All replies

• Do you have KB3004394 installed? If so, uninstall this update and recheck the issue.

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Sunday, January 18, 2015 10:55 PM

• Hello NorCal Jeff,

Have you tried the solution as MVP S.Sengupta mentioned?

We could run the command slmgr.vbs /dlv to check if the system is licensed.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 11:29 AM
  • I do not have the KB3004394 installed, this is an authorized system. They went through all of this when the Level 2 tech tried to solve it. Thanks for responding. I am not very savvy when it comes to this stuff and I appreciate the help. The code on the "Not genuine windows" is 0x8004feZ1 if that helps.
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 7:20 PM
  • Hello NorCal Jeff,

Please use system restore to restore the system back to a store point before two weeks ago and check if the issue still exists.

System Restore: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/windows7/products/features/system-restore
    1.Open System Restore by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    2.Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN

Monday, January 26, 2015 2:31 AM
  • That was done 01-01-15 during the phone assist w/microsoft.  If it worked at all it lasted less than 12 hours before the error returned. I will try it again.
    Monday, January 26, 2015 7:32 PM
  • No change.
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 1:55 PM
  • Hello NorCal Jeff,

What are the steps that was taken in 01-01-15 during the phone assist?

Please try clean boot after these steps and check if the issue still exists.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    If the issue doesn’t exist in the clean boot, it may be related to third-party softwares.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 3:10 AM