none
Disk I/O RRS feed

• Question

• Hi  All

One of my physical server got rebooted automatically and from the event logs i could not find much. i suspect the server got rebooted by high Disk I/O is there any log to check this is Operating System,

Monday, April 8, 2019 12:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• If it was unexpected (by the operating system) there have been an event written to the system event log.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 8, 2019 1:01 AM
  • Hi,

You could monitor your disk performance via Performance Monitor 

Windows Performance Monitor Disk Counters Explained

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2012/03/16/windows-performance-monitor-disk-counters-explained/

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by ItsMe-Roger Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:36 PM
    Monday, April 8, 2019 8:39 AM
  • "i suspect the server got rebooted by high Disk I/O"

What makes you suspect high disk I/O?  That is a rather rare case.  More probable is a problem with a device driver.

As Dave suggested, spend some more time looking at the event logs for any events that occurred around the time of the reboot.  Unless you have disabled the specific event, an event is always logged to the system event log when a system is rebooted.  Take that time stamp and look for any anomalies that occurred shortly before that.

tim

Monday, April 8, 2019 1:54 PM
  • One of my physical server got rebooted automatically 

Check your hardware logs. Servers from HP and Dell (maybe others) have a feature that HP calls ASR. This is where the BIOS detects that the OS is hung and not responding. The BIOS reboots the server to get it back online. 

• Marked as answer by ItsMe-Roger Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:36 PM
    Monday, April 8, 2019 5:39 PM