No SharePoint visible while creating New Protection Group in Data Protection Manager 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I want to protect SharePoint 2010 (RTM) farm with DPM2012,

All farm servers and sql server have agents installed.

All SharePoint farm servers were configured with ConfigureSharePoint.exe tool.

There is no SharePoint option available, unlike presented here:

What have I missed?

LW

Friday, June 22, 2012 8:24 AM

Answers

• Case solved! Thank you Ana-Luisa from MSFT!

SYMPTOM

Customer cannot create Sharepoint Protection Group in DPM 2012, because the Sharepoint Farm is not found when expanding the SP server.

Server1 – SharePoint 2010 Complete install – APP, INDEX, CA

Server2 - SharePoint 2010 Complete install – QUERY, WFE

Server3 - SharePoint 2010 Complete install – QUERY, WFE

Server4 – Ms SQL 2008 R2 SP1 Enterprise – SP DB INSTANCE

The configuresharepointprotection was executed on server 1-3.

On the SP servers the SqlServerWriter and Sharepoint Services VSS Writer were missing.

OS for all servers : Windows Server 2008 R2 Sp1

CAUSE (if its applicable)

This is caused by having WSS Search running on multiple boxes in the farm.  This casues the VSS writer to get confused because it thinks that they are duplicate objects even though they are not.

RESOLUTION

known issue: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2405789

“A SharePoint writer cannot be registered in Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) in SharePoint Foundation 2010. Specifically, when there is more than one Web Front End (WFE) server and when the Search Service Application feature is enabled in the WFE servers.”

After disabling SharePoint Help Search service on one of the WFE servers, that SharePoint Services Writer appeared on the second WFE Server and he was able to successfully create SharePoint Protection Group.

LW

• Marked as answer by Gierasimov Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:19 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:19 AM

All replies

• Did you run configuresharepoint -enablesharepointprotection with elevated rights in the command prompt?

you only need to run this command on 1 Web front end for DPM to see it

Monday, June 25, 2012 12:46 PM
  • KirksEcE, thanks for your question. I did say in my original post that All SharePoint farm servers were configured with ConfigureSharePoint.exe tool, and I said that to indicate that I wouldn't be asking the question without first following the rules. So to answer your question - yes I did run configuresharepoint -enablesharepointprotection with elevated permissions. It has completed without error and SP VSS started OK with Farm credentials as runas account. Thanks.

LW

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:27 AM
  • Has anybody managed to get this working on their DPM 2012 and SP 2010? I wonder if that's not the SP1 related issue, however I can't just update my SP farm to SP1 just yet, there are a lot of dependencies. I am asking as I have not seen any blogs with DPM 2012 fro SP 2010 and if I need to setup a lab or test env I need to run a project in my corp, in other words I will do that if proved that this is the solution - to update SP2010 to SP1 (I run RTM version as stated in my original post).

To summarize:

Can anybody state their environment patch level and provide screens that it actually works - DPM 2012 is fresh and I want to be sure it does not have the problem by itself.

I am on the TechEd conference this week so maybe I will have opportunity to ask this around MSFT DPM guys.

LW

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:33 AM
  • HI

My SharePoint 2010 Farm is upgraded to SP1 and i am using DPM2012

• Marked as answer by Gierasimov Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Gierasimov Monday, July 2, 2012 9:05 AM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:51 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply - and you are saying that is works as expected? Care to attach a screen shot pls?

Thanks!

LW

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:04 AM
  • HI

Yes it does except for 2 DB's that was giving me issues

Pic as requested

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:13 AM
  • Hi Gierasimov,

It's a normal behaviour, DPM protect the whole Sharepoint farm, then you can't choose what you want to protect : DB config, DB content, etc.

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 11:57 AM
  • Thanks mate, that's the confirmation I was looking for, so just to get the full understanding on my side, when you try to create new Protection Group you can see SharePoint listed in Protection Group > Select Group Members page, just like on the picture in my original post, is my understanding correct?

LW

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:58 AM
  • Yes SharePoint shows on which ever Web Front end server , so in my case SharePoint Protection only showed up on one server called SP1
    • Edited by KirksEcE Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:02 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:01 AM
  • Hi Stephane,

Unfortunately I don't think it is. I can't even get to the point where I can say I am protecting SharePoint farm, not to mention ILR (item level recovery) that was supported in DPM 2010, so it looks like I have two choices, install DPM 2010 or deploy SP1 for my SharePoint farm. I just need to figure out which one is better in my environment, I would love to go to SP1 but the road there is long and bumpy.

Thanks for the reply though...

LW

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:02 AM
  • Thx!

LW

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:38 AM
  • Quick update,

I just got back from TechEd Europe and although it works as described by KirksEcE, Sevice Pack 1 for SP 2010 is NOT required to get the protection as per my original post. Therefore thread is still active so if any of you guys have anything to contribute to solution please chime in.

I ve asked around MSFT guys at TechEd and they confirmed DPM 2012 works just fine with RTM version of SP2010, I have had chance to see it in action in hands-on labs, and environment there was also RTM...

I will try to remove agents and go over the config to make sure nothing was skipped...

LW

LW

Monday, July 2, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Case solved! Thank you Ana-Luisa from MSFT!

SYMPTOM

Customer cannot create Sharepoint Protection Group in DPM 2012, because the Sharepoint Farm is not found when expanding the SP server.

Server1 – SharePoint 2010 Complete install – APP, INDEX, CA

Server2 - SharePoint 2010 Complete install – QUERY, WFE

Server3 - SharePoint 2010 Complete install – QUERY, WFE

Server4 – Ms SQL 2008 R2 SP1 Enterprise – SP DB INSTANCE

The configuresharepointprotection was executed on server 1-3.

On the SP servers the SqlServerWriter and Sharepoint Services VSS Writer were missing.

OS for all servers : Windows Server 2008 R2 Sp1

CAUSE (if its applicable)

This is caused by having WSS Search running on multiple boxes in the farm.  This casues the VSS writer to get confused because it thinks that they are duplicate objects even though they are not.

RESOLUTION

known issue: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2405789

“A SharePoint writer cannot be registered in Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) in SharePoint Foundation 2010. Specifically, when there is more than one Web Front End (WFE) server and when the Search Service Application feature is enabled in the WFE servers.”

After disabling SharePoint Help Search service on one of the WFE servers, that SharePoint Services Writer appeared on the second WFE Server and he was able to successfully create SharePoint Protection Group.

LW

• Marked as answer by Gierasimov Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:19 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:19 AM
  • Im glad you got it solved!

Maybe makes sense my side as a have 1 Server dedicated for search , so i dont have any search running on any of my WFE's

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Have come to an end where I need some help. My problems are quite similar to some other threads that I have read here but none of the solutions or suggestions in those threads has helped. This thread is the one that is closest to my problem. 

Setup: 
    DPM 2012 on 4 + 2 separate servers 
    SP Farm: 2 clustered Sharepoint 2010 frontend servers and 6 Sharepoint 2010 backend servers
    1 SQL server 2008 R2

All of them have Windows Server 2008 R2
    Some of the backend servers are not in use yet (SP is installed but has no data) but all other SP servers have the DPM agent installed. And the SQL server. 
    ConfigureSharepoint -enabledsharepointprotection has been executed (elevated) on both frontend servers (and one backend just to test) with no errors. Several times. 
    The SQL server is not protected in another DMP instance. 

But...when browsing to any of the frontend (or the backend) SP servers in DPM no Sharepoint icon or selection is visible. 

Have used the DISKSHADOW List Writers Status on all of them and NONE shows that any Sharepoint VSS Writers are running on any server! Other VSS Writers are running, though (11). But the Sharepoint 2012 VSS Writer service is running! 
    SharePoint Foundation search V4 and SharePoint Server Search 14 services are disabled. 
    All servers are in the same domain, have tried to disable the FW with no change. Farm admin account has been used. Local admin on all servers. 

What else can I do? 
    All suggestions are appreciated. 
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 1:57 PM