Windows 2008 R2 Print Server Queue to Another Windows Print Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to have 2 print servers (both Windows 2008 R2) setup so that I can point my workstation to printserver1 and printserver1 will queue/spool it to printserver2 which will then send it to the network printer. We have different teams here and would like to be able to control our workstations/servers including printserver1 and have the other team control printserver2 and the actual printers. Can this be done and if so, how?

I have been looking for a way to set this up and have not had any luck and have been googling extensively. I found a document on Technet for something very similar in Windows 2003 R2 but actually trying it in 2003 R2 it did not function as mentioned. Here is the link to the document: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775791(v=ws.10).aspx

The part I was looking at was: "To configure this print server to forward print jobs to a second print server, click A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer. For example, you can configure a print server at a branch office to forward print jobs to a print server in the main office. You might do this if regulations require you to create printouts of daily transaction logs and store them at the main office. If you want to do this, click this option. ".

In following the instructions all it did was add a printer to the Print Server computer (under printers and faxes) but did not add it to the print server role (Print Managment -> Print Servers -> Printers was still empty except for XPS printer).

Thanks

Friday, May 11, 2012 10:56 PM

Answers

• The method to accomplish your specific task:

On printserver2, install the shares to the actual print devices.  Keep the sharenames to one word.  Add Print Server Role feature LPD Print server.  ( dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Printing-LPDPrintService )

On printserver1, create Standard TCP/IP ports directed at the shares on printserver2.  Since the LPD service does not support SNMP, it's more efficient to use \system32\print_admin_scripts\prnport.vbs to add the ports.  You will need to configure ports with LPR byte counting enabled and SNMP disabled 

C:\>cscript c:\Windows\System32\Printing_Admin_Scripts\en-US\prnport.vbs -a -h printserver2 -o lpr -q share1 -2e -md -r printserver2#share1
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Created/updated port printserver2#share1

Add printers to printserver1 using the ports to printserver2. 

Any further questions on this configuration search for Alan Morris LPD.  You can reply but I'm off the forum until next weekend

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Monday, May 14, 2012 4:46 PM
    Answerer
  • Launch the cmd prompt As Administrator.  The user is admin but the application context is always user unless you command otherwise. 

Thursday, May 17, 2012 10:39 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my test, This behavior is normal.

To configure this print server to forward print jobs to a second print server, click A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer. For example, you can configure a print server at a branch office to forward print jobs to a print server in the main office.

It means specified a printer attached to another computer.

Do you want to  transfer documents to another printer?

To send documents to a printer on a different print server
    ===========================================
    The printer must already exist and be shared on the print server.

Click Add Port, click Local Port, and then click New Port. Type the name of the other print server and the share name of the shared printer in the following format:

\\other_print_server\share_name

For details:

Transfer documents to another printer
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739858(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
    Elytis Cheng

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Elytis Cheng

TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 14, 2012 5:22 AM
  • Local Port will only work from the location where the Local Port resides.  It will not work as a shared printer.

Monday, May 14, 2012 4:12 PM
    Answerer
  • The method to accomplish your specific task:

On printserver2, install the shares to the actual print devices.  Keep the sharenames to one word.  Add Print Server Role feature LPD Print server.  ( dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Printing-LPDPrintService )

On printserver1, create Standard TCP/IP ports directed at the shares on printserver2.  Since the LPD service does not support SNMP, it's more efficient to use \system32\print_admin_scripts\prnport.vbs to add the ports.  You will need to configure ports with LPR byte counting enabled and SNMP disabled 

C:\>cscript c:\Windows\System32\Printing_Admin_Scripts\en-US\prnport.vbs -a -h printserver2 -o lpr -q share1 -2e -md -r printserver2#share1
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Created/updated port printserver2#share1

Add printers to printserver1 using the ports to printserver2. 

Any further questions on this configuration search for Alan Morris LPD.  You can reply but I'm off the forum until next weekend

Monday, May 14, 2012 4:46 PM
    Answerer
  • It kind of works. When I'm on PrintServer1 I can print and it goes to PrintServer2 then to the printer but if I'm on my workstation printing to PrintServer1 the document gets stuck in the print queue on PrintServer1 with "Error-Printing".
    Monday, May 14, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Error Printing is what you get if you try to use the Local Ports in sharing scenarios.  If you are domain admin you should be able to setup security on the machine for network delegation but I've never confirmed this.  LPD is a much less complicated solution. 

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:36 AM
    Answerer
  • I tried your command:" C:\>cscript c:\Windows\System32\Printing_Admin_Scripts\en-US\prnport.vbs -a -h printserver2 -o lpr -q share1 -2e -md -r printserver2#share1"

I get access denied. I am a domain admin so not sure why I would get this. Am I right in assuming this should be run on printserver1 to attach to the ports on printserver2?

Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Launch the cmd prompt As Administrator.  The user is admin but the application context is always user unless you command otherwise. 

Thursday, May 17, 2012 10:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Based on my test, This behavior is normal.

To configure this print server to forward print jobs to a second print server, click A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer. For example, you can configure a print server at a branch office to forward print jobs to a print server in the main office.

It means specified a printer attached to another computer.

Do you want to  transfer documents to another printer?

To send documents to a printer on a different print server
    ===========================================
    The printer must already exist and be shared on the print server.

Click Add Port, click Local Port, and then click New Port. Type the name of the other print server and the share name of the shared printer in the following format:

\\other_print_server\share_name

For details:

Transfer documents to another printer
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739858(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
    Elytis Cheng

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Elytis Cheng

TechNet Community Support

I tried this but get error-printing in the queue of printserver1. I will do Alan Morris's LPD solution for now but we would prefer to do something similar to what you had if we can get it to work. Any ideas?
    Friday, May 18, 2012 1:43 AM
  • The Error-printing failure is due to security settings.  Client machine1 is not authorized to hop unauthenticated data onto machine2 to machine3.  Machine2 to machine3 works because there is not an unathenticated hop.

Friday, May 18, 2012 4:18 AM
    Answerer
  • What security setting would I change to allow this to work?
    Monday, May 21, 2012 6:10 PM
  • The delegation setting on the AD machine container.  I've never configured this. 

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:34 AM
    Answerer