none
My bitlocker drive is locked and windows wants me to enter the recovery key. RRS feed

• Question

• Windows wants me to unlock my drive with a recovery key even though I know my password. I have tried multiple computers and laptops but they all have the same problem. PLZ HELP!!!

P.S: I don't know my recovery key and I don't know where it is :(

• Edited by Allinator Sunday, March 20, 2016 10:58 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Allinator,

Is this drive an internal hard drive or removable driver (such as USB)?

How did encrypted this drive? Bitlocker with TPM or Bitlocker to go to?

It seems that it has got into recovery mode. There are several reasons that you will be asked for recovery key. For example, the computer encountered a hardware malfunction, an unexpected configuration change, or another security event. So if you have made any modifications to the machine recently, please roll them back to have a test.

I am afraid that the recovery key is the only way to get the Bitlocker drive back when it comes into recovery mode. A BitLocker recovery key is a special key that is created when you turn on Bitlocker Drive Encryption for the first time on each drive that you encrypt.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 10:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Allinator,

Is this drive an internal hard drive or removable driver (such as USB)?

How did encrypted this drive? Bitlocker with TPM or Bitlocker to go to?

It seems that it has got into recovery mode. There are several reasons that you will be asked for recovery key. For example, the computer encountered a hardware malfunction, an unexpected configuration change, or another security event. So if you have made any modifications to the machine recently, please roll them back to have a test.

I am afraid that the recovery key is the only way to get the Bitlocker drive back when it comes into recovery mode. A BitLocker recovery key is a special key that is created when you turn on Bitlocker Drive Encryption for the first time on each drive that you encrypt.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 10:14 AM
  • Yet another reason not to use Bit locker.  You could always restore from your back up.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Thursday, March 17, 2016 10:32 AM
  • Oh. Ok.   That USB had all of my stuff on it and I have NO IDEA  where the recovery  key is. So.... thx

:)

Sunday, March 20, 2016 10:51 PM
  • Ummm..... I didn't back it up.

:)

Sunday, March 20, 2016 10:54 PM
  • Hi Allinator,

Like what I said, the recovery key is the only way to get the Bitlocker drive back when it comes into recovery mode.

We’d better to ask data recovery company for help, if the data is valuable.

Best regards.

Monday, March 21, 2016 1:42 AM