How to redirect messages with incorrect recipients to a specific mailbox ? RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange 2010 Standard 

Two accepted domains:
     domain1.tld
     domain2.tld.
    There is only one user with address in domain2.tld
     user@domain2.tld

Is it possible to redirect all the mail sent to domain2.tld to the mailbox user@domain2.tld

Example:
    A message with recepient office@domain2.tld comes to the server. There is not mailbox office@domain2.tld in the server.
    I want this message to be redirected to user@domain2.tld instead sending NDR "no such user" (550 5.1.1).

I tried with transport rule "when recipient address matches @domain2.tld redirect to user@domain2.tld", but NDR is generated and the message does not go to the mailbox user@domain2.tld.

-------------------------------------------------------

I just solve this:

1. I changed the second accepted domain from "Autoritative Domain" to "Internal Relay Domain".
    2. Transpost rule: "when recipient address matches @domain2.tld redirect to user@domain2.tld"

• Edited by DimiterS Tuesday, January 19, 2016 6:24 PM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 4:59 PM

All replies

• You must have reciepient for this address. If you want redirect all message, you can add second proxy address  office@domain2.tld to user.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 7:27 PM
  • Exchange 2010 Standard 

Two accepted domains:
     domain1.tld
     domain2.tld.
    There is only one user with address in domain2.tld
     user@domain2.tld

Is it possible to redirect all the mail sent to domain2.tld to the mailbox user@domain2.tld

Example:
    A message with recepient office@domain2.tld comes to the server. There is not mailbox office@domain2.tld in the server.
    I want this message to be redirected to user@domain2.tld instead sending NDR "no such user" (550 5.1.1).

I tried with transport rule "when recipient address matches @domain2.tld redirect to user@domain2.tld", but NDR is generated and the message does not go to the mailbox user@domain2.tld.

-------------------------------------------------------

I just solve this:

1. I changed the second accepted domain from "Autoritative Domain" to "Internal Relay Domain".
    2. Transpost rule: "when recipient address matches @domain2.tld redirect to user@domain2.tld"

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb691132(v=exchg.141).aspx

Configure a Catch-All Mailbox

Blog:    Twitter:   

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 7:42 PM
  • Hi,

If the primary SMTP address of mailbox user@domain2.tld is user@domain2.tld? If you set the primary SMTP address for this mailbox to user@domain.tld (user@domain2.tld as second address) and change the redirect address to user@domain.tld in transport rule, will this work?

If this doesn't work as well, then consider to configure Edge server and configure it as Andy suggested.

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:53 AM
  • Thank you for your answers.

1. I have forgot to clarify that there is not edge server. "catch-all mailbox" relys on existing edge server
    2. Assigning second address is not applicable - I want to collect all the mail sent to *@domain2.tld (* is wildcard)

As I said these settings solved the problem:
    1. Changing the second accepted domain from "Authoritative Domain" to "Internal Relay Domain".
    2. Transport rule: "when recipient address matches @domain2.tld redirect to  user@domain2.tld"

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 2:22 PM