Unmonitor SQL Servers with SQL Services disabled RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm getting Active Alerts for SQL Servers where the SQL Services are in a Disabled state. Is there a way to turn off the monitoring for the SQL Server Management Pack(s) for these kind of SQL Servers? Would probably eliminate 30-40 servers in my view..

Thanks in advance

Monday, December 7, 2015 5:52 PM

Answers

• Create a group of servers that you DON'T want SQL monitored on. Override the discovery for SQL Installation Seed to disabled and enforce the override. This discovery is enabled by default.

"Fear disturbs your concentration"

• Marked as answer by dnaman Wednesday, December 9, 2015 2:55 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 5:17 PM
  • Hello Dnaman,

As you have 30-40 SQL servers have SQL service set to Disabled. You can try to create a group with Dynamic Members based on SQL service status.

Then override the discovery for the group, and then run Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance command to remote those servers. 

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 6:41 AM
  • 1) create a attribute containing SQL service start type
     SQL service start type is under  HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\mssqlserver\start registry
    2) Create a dynamic group containing computer based on step 1) attribute
    For detail, pls. refer to
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2009/06/10/creating-custom-dynamic-computer-groups-based-on-registry-keys-on-agents.aspx
    3) Create override to disable the discovery of SQL on step2) group of computers
    4) Use PowerShell cmdlet  Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance to remove those server instance
    Roger

• Marked as answer by dnaman Wednesday, December 9, 2015 2:56 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 9:00 AM

All replies

• Disable the discovery for SQL Server (2005/08/12/14) Installation Seed on these servers. That will prevent the discoveries of these systems as SQL boxes.

• Proposed as answer by Chunky.1 Monday, December 7, 2015 8:42 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by dnaman Monday, December 7, 2015 9:02 PM
    Monday, December 7, 2015 6:00 PM
  • You'll also need to run a script to remove the objects that have already been discovered:

https://om2012.wordpress.com/2013/06/09/how-to-remove-objects-from-monitoring-remove-scomdisabledclassinstance/

Monday, December 7, 2015 8:44 PM
  • Disable the discovery for SQL Server (2005/08/12/14) Installation Seed on these servers. That will prevent the discoveries of these systems as SQL boxes.

Before I mark as an answer, just wanted to clarify something..

I have 250+ SQL Servers that have been discovered, in the link provided it mentions I need to create a group to hold the servers that I DO want SQL Server monitored and then disable the installation seed or something..(not clear on that yet).

For this group, do I need to manually add the servers? This would be a painstaking task of figuring out which instances are actually set to Disabled / Running..

There is no better way of just filtering from this initial list and say 'exclude servers where SQL service is set to Disabled'?

Monday, December 7, 2015 9:04 PM
  • Create a group of servers that you DON'T want SQL monitored on. Override the discovery for SQL Installation Seed to disabled and enforce the override. This discovery is enabled by default.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 5:17 PM
  • Hello Dnaman,

As you have 30-40 SQL servers have SQL service set to Disabled. You can try to create a group with Dynamic Members based on SQL service status.

Then override the discovery for the group, and then run Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance command to remote those servers. 

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 6:41 AM
  • 1) create a attribute containing SQL service start type
     SQL service start type is under  HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\mssqlserver\start registry
    2) Create a dynamic group containing computer based on step 1) attribute
    For detail, pls. refer to
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2009/06/10/creating-custom-dynamic-computer-groups-based-on-registry-keys-on-agents.aspx
    3) Create override to disable the discovery of SQL on step2) group of computers
    4) Use PowerShell cmdlet  Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance to remove those server instance
    Roger

• Marked as answer by dnaman Wednesday, December 9, 2015 2:56 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 9:00 AM
  • Appreciate all the options everyone, will look into each one but now seems i can breathe easier and tune SCOM..this forum rocks!
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 2:56 PM