Vista computer will not stay in sleep mode due to USB devices RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 with all updates.   My computer will work in sleep and hibernation mode if I am not running my USB wireless mouse and keyboard and USB hub.  Using these devices I manually initiate sleep mode then before it goes to sleep I disconnected my USB mouse and keyboard and it successfully goes to sleep.   If I leave them connected when I innitiate sleep mode the computer will wake up straight away from either sleep or hibernation mode.

I have an ASUS motherboard  P5GC-MX 1333.  Core 2 Duo 1.6GHZ   2GB DDR2 RAM, SATA DRIVES
    I updated my BIOS. All motherboard software.   Checked bios settings so no devices can wake the computer.

I actually went into device manager and made sure no USB devices are set to wake the computer.

For an experiment I disabled all USB devices using a PS2 keyboard and mouse while my USB keyboard and USB hub were still connected.  The computer successfully stayed in sleep mode.  If no USB devices and only PS2 mouse and keyboard sleep mode works fine.

I observed the thread http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2492878&SiteID=17 TechNet Forums » Windows Vista IT Pro » Windows Vista Hardware » Vista won't Sleep!

Event Viewer does not give any indication as to what woke the computer even when sleep mode works and the power button is pressed.  Still says Wake source: Unknown.

[ Name]     Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter

Found a partial solution here  http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2008/02/13/7658352.aspx
    Controlling which devices will wake the computer out of sleep
    using powercfg -devicequery wake_armed   and powercfg -devicedisablewake "device name"    This will reveal current devices that can wake the computer and allow you to disable them..
    I disabled any wake_armed devices using powercfg -devicedisablewake "<name from list>".  I needed to start CMD in administrator mode.
    I did previously try this and it didn't work but it seemed to after I updated my BIOS.  And due to the BIOS update my computer enteres sleep mode really fast.

This solved the problem for my USB Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 2000 and mouse.
    But it raises some questions.   Why did I have to use such a geek command powercfg to make it work.  I did disable wake capabilities using accompanying software and in device manager for my software for Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 2000 and mouse but that was not enough.  I

Maybe someone can shed some more light on this subject. 

The problem is only half fixed, my USB hub is still causing the same problem.  It is not listed in powercfg -devicequery wake_armed  but it is listed in powercfg -devicequery wake_from_any  as "Generic USB Hub (014)"  but I can't seem to disable it.  I get the message "You do not have permission to enable or disable device wake."
    So I am stuck with that one. I have just unpluged my USB hub for now. The brand is 'DOUBLE H' 3.5" Internal Front Bay USB 2.0 4 Port Hub DH-2D43.   I suspect that it is not fully Vista compatiable as it only says supports Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP and Mac OS 10.X.  They have another product that uses a PCI card and says it is vista compatible. So I will try that.

Saturday, July 12, 2008 9:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, the issue mostly can be caused by the following factors:

1. USB chipset driver issue

2.Hardware issue. (keyboard/mouse/motherboard)

3.USB software conflict.

4.Unstable power supply.

Before moving on, please help me confirm the following points:

1.Do you have another known USB keyboard and mouse? Could you please test them on the computer?

2.Do you have another known computer? Could you please use the USB wireless mouse and keyboard on the known computer to test this issue?

3. If you have another known computer, if possible, could you please replace your Power Supply to test this issue?

4. Does the issue still occur in Clean Boot?

How to take a Clean Boot

===========================

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Hope it helps.

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:07 AM

All replies

• My experiment worked.  The PC Hub was incompatible with Vista for Sleep and Hibernation Mode. It consisted of a cable to plug into a rear USB port and 4 USB sockets that fit into the 3.5 drive bay.

The new USB card is compatible with VISTA, it is a PCI card with some USB prots for the back and a connection to a 3.5drive bay with 3 more USB sockets for the front of the PC. 
    DOUBLE H USB 2.0 PCI card with 3x USB2.0 ports in 3.5" front bay slot.  Technically it is not a hub but a whole lot of new USB ports feeding into the motherboard through a PCI card.

So In summary  the powercfg command fixed the USB keyboard and Mouse.  That also applies to a corded USB Optical Microsoft mouse as well.  And the other problem was an incompatible hardware USB Hub device.

If anybody knows some user friendly fix instead of powercfg please let us know. I can't imagine the everyday person having to resort to that fix.

I wonder if I reinstalled Vista from scratch would I still have had the same problem with the USB keyboards and mice.  Was it just some obscure setting that occurred over time.  One day I may reinstall Vista and find out.
    Saturday, July 12, 2008 12:01 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, the issue mostly can be caused by the following factors:

1. USB chipset driver issue

2.Hardware issue. (keyboard/mouse/motherboard)

3.USB software conflict.

4.Unstable power supply.

Before moving on, please help me confirm the following points:

1.Do you have another known USB keyboard and mouse? Could you please test them on the computer?

2.Do you have another known computer? Could you please use the USB wireless mouse and keyboard on the known computer to test this issue?

3. If you have another known computer, if possible, could you please replace your Power Supply to test this issue?

4. Does the issue still occur in Clean Boot?

How to take a Clean Boot

===========================

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Hope it helps.

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:07 AM
  • Hi,

This thread has been quiet for a while we will be changing the issue type to ‘Comment’.

If you wish to return to this question you can go ahead and change the type back to ‘Question’. Then you can edit your initial post and change the radio button at the top of the post editor window.

If the issue has been resolved, we’d love to hear your solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:32 AM
  • Check the event viewer (system). that will tell you what device is waking the computer

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:10 AM
  • Thanks for your replies.  Sorry for the delay in replying I though I was set to receive update posts but obviously not.

The event viewer does not tell what is causing it to wake from sleep mode.

Any way somehow the problem is solved. 

By inserting a Vista compatible USB card and plugging the wirless keyboard into that port. It now sleeps properly.

I put the problem down to a USB Hardware or USB driver issue on the motherboard.  The motherboard USB ports or drivers may be incompatible with VISTA sleep mode.  But wait there is more

I then tried turning off all non microsoft processes as Robinson Zhang suggested and disabled all start up programs.  I put the usb keyboard into the standard motherboard usb ports and sleep mode worked properly.

I then started enableing processes and startup programs and restarted PC to test sleep mode.  Now all devices are enabled and the PC works properly in sleep mode.  I am confused as to why but it is now working properly.  I did previously try another brand USB keyboard (genius)  I don't know if some how its driver has taken of the microsoft usb keybaord driver but somehow everything is working.

I can't place my finger one what actually fixed the problem.

I hope this helps someone.  The comments by Robinson Zhang have helped steer people in the right direction to determine a fix.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:28 AM
  • I am not attempting to hijack the thread but am also having a very unusual Vista sleep problem that has been pestering me now for a couple of months.

I'm hopeful from some of what I have seen in this thread that there might be some folks with answers.

I have Vista configured with S3 sleep in the motherboard (Intel BX2) and have the power settings configured so that it will sleep after 10 minutes.  I have disabled most software in msconfig from starting, including ehtray.exe (my machine would never sleep with this process running at startup).

When I first boot up the machine will sleep.  When I log in it will sleep.  It might sleep and be woken several times but inadvertently I will reach a point after a day or less where it will no longer sleep.  There is nothing in the event viewer that indicates it even tries to sleep.

I have the following devices in my powercfg;

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
    HID-compliant mouse (001)
    HID Keyboard Device (007)
    High Definition Audio Controller (001)

I'm not sure why the HDAC is there, but I am running the latest drivers for all of my hardware and am only using the onboard Intel audio controller on the motherboard.

I'm concerned that there must be some process, etc, that is running and preventing sleep, but I have not been able to pinpoint what this process might be since there is nothing in the event viewer to even indicate that sleep was attempted.  I have reviewed task scheduler and don't see any tasks that run that indicate they would wake the computer from sleep.

Any help would really be appreciated.  I've swapped out USB hubs, mouse, keyboard, and disabled most software and still can't seem to figure out what is going on with this. 

Monday, September 8, 2008 5:10 AM
  • Hello,

I've been suffering a related problem recently and I think the informed people of this forum might be able to help.  After looking around a bit, it didn't seem to be much of a problem if I bump this thread to ask my question.  I can start a new thread if necessary. 

My standard power saving configuration in XP was to manually have the computer go to sleep, and then if the laptop was not plugged in, within 45 minutes it would proceed to hibernate the system. Now, I have a Toshiba Satellite with Vista Home, and even with these same settings enabled in the advanced power configuration, the system will not enter hibernation from sleep mode.  I found a thread on a different forum (for a thinkpad) that suggested a setting in the BIOS ("Timer Wake with Battery Operation") be enabled to fix this problem.  My satellite doesn't have this option in its BIOS; however, it got me thinking about the powercfg command.

If I could find out which device normally "wakes up" the computer from sleep to initiate hibernation, could I then use powercfg -deviceenablewake <devicename> to allow that device to do its job?  Am I wrong in assuming this could even be the problem?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:21 PM