Stored passwords in IE10 are not deleted by "Delete browsing history" - "Passwords" RRS feed

• Question

• System description: Windows 7 Service pack 1 with IE10

Problem: Deleting IE passwords do not delete all passwords. It seems like passwords entered in forms (fields in webpages) are deleted while passwords to be entered in pop-up windows when entering htaccess password protected webpages are still remembered and automatically shown in the pop-up window.

I have two domains with separate web pages (same webhotel service provider though). The two web pages have 4 and 2 (respectively) htaccess password protected folders containing webcam images. One week ago I suddenly have to confirm the username and passwords several times before I can enter and see the images. This is not the case on my other web page. This is ONLY a problem on one of my private PCs, not my other PCs or my office/job computer. Thats why I firmly believe this is not a problem on the web page rather on my main PC.

I have searched the web for a solution and tried to "delete browsing history" first by only deleting passwords - did not help, and then deleting passwords, cookies, form data.... everything. Still... IE on this PC continues to show me my stored (should have been deleted) username and password for htaccess protected folders. It seems I am not able to fully clear IE's "memory" about this web page (and other web page with hyaccess) so the problem continues. It is quite annoying having to confirm/OK the password window several times  (sometimes 4, sometimes 8) to be able to enter the image pages. PLEASE help...!

Best regards

Helge

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Blair

Thank you for your suggestions.

"If you don’t want to leave a trace of your web browsing activity on your computer.  I would like to suggest you us IE 10 in InPrivate Browsing."

I do not need inPrivate Browsing. I actually prefer storing passwords for my own private web pages with web cam images from my property at our vacation house. I simply want to delete passwords temporarely to get rid of the problem with having to confirm the password 8 times (by OK button) trying to enter my webcam folders located at one of the web servers.

"Please refer to: How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/en-us"

Good suggestion! I have hopes for that this might help and will try this. Thank you :)

Regards

Helge Seljeseth

• Proposed as answer by MSP-Learner Friday, November 1, 2013 6:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:23 AM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 5:26 PM
  • Hi Helge,

You should close Internet Explorer when you're done to clear history that are still in memory from your current browsing session.

If you don’t want to leave a trace of your web browsing activity on your computer.

I would like to suggest you us IE 10 in InPrivate Browsing.

InPrivate Browsing helps prevent your browsing history, temporary Internet files, form data, cookies, and user names and passwords from being retained by the browser. You can start InPrivate Browsing from the Safety menu, by pressing Ctrl+Shift+P, or from the New Tab page. Internet Explorer will launch a new browser session that won’t keep any information about webpages you visit or searches you perform. Closing the browser window will end your InPrivate Browsing session.

You can delete all settings that have changed since Internet Explorer was first installed, including browsing history.

Please refer to: How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/en-us

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:22 AM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 4:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

which Addon toolbars or BHO's do you have installed? IE does not delete form usename and passwords of third-party addons.

the first step in troubleshooting browser (any) is to test in noaddons mode.

Post consumer questions about IE to http://answers.microsoft.com (Help>Online Support menu from IE)

this forum is for questions about IEAK and GPO for domain network administrators.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:32 PM
  • Oh... ok, sorry for posting here.  Both times I tried posting at answers.microsoft.com yesterday I only got "Sorry the request couldn't be completed. Please try again later."

Under add-ons, all add-ons have already been disabled. Did unfortunately not mention that in my post. Password entry in the particular htaccess protected web site works fine in the two other web browser I have on this PC og also works fine on two other computers I have when using IE10. Why I am not able to clear/delete ALL passwords in IE10 on this PC I do not understand. I am the only user (admin) on the PC.

Again... sorry for posting here. Will make another attempt at answers.microsoft.com

Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:11 AM
  • How about trying this - 
    click on start, click on run, type inetcpl.cpl, go to advanced tab, click on reset under restore advanced settings
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:59 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion but I have already tried.  By running inetcpl.cpl I get the same window as opening Tools icon in IE10 and selecting Internet options. I have tried both reset and restore advanced settings, exit IE restart computer... and even after that once again tool icon - safety - delete browsing history - deleting: passwords, cookies, forms data.... everything :(   and still IE10 remembers a lot of web page passwords. The strange thing is that I need to re-enter a few passwords (some web pages) but most of them are still stored/remembered. This computer is quite new with an only 8 weeks old Windows 7 installation.
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:37 PM
  • Hi Helge,

You should close Internet Explorer when you're done to clear history that are still in memory from your current browsing session.

If you don’t want to leave a trace of your web browsing activity on your computer.

I would like to suggest you us IE 10 in InPrivate Browsing.

InPrivate Browsing helps prevent your browsing history, temporary Internet files, form data, cookies, and user names and passwords from being retained by the browser. You can start InPrivate Browsing from the Safety menu, by pressing Ctrl+Shift+P, or from the New Tab page. Internet Explorer will launch a new browser session that won’t keep any information about webpages you visit or searches you perform. Closing the browser window will end your InPrivate Browsing session.

You can delete all settings that have changed since Internet Explorer was first installed, including browsing history.

Please refer to: How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/en-us

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:22 AM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 4:58 PM
  • Hi Blair

Thank you for your suggestions.

"If you don’t want to leave a trace of your web browsing activity on your computer.  I would like to suggest you us IE 10 in InPrivate Browsing."

I do not need inPrivate Browsing. I actually prefer storing passwords for my own private web pages with web cam images from my property at our vacation house. I simply want to delete passwords temporarely to get rid of the problem with having to confirm the password 8 times (by OK button) trying to enter my webcam folders located at one of the web servers.

"Please refer to: How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/en-us"

Good suggestion! I have hopes for that this might help and will try this. Thank you :)

Regards

Helge Seljeseth

• Proposed as answer by MSP-Learner Friday, November 1, 2013 6:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:23 AM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 5:26 PM
  • I know this issue has been marked as answered, but I had the exact same problem. My solution was:

When in the tools->internet options->delete browsing history pop up box - Please notice at the top of the selections "Preserve Favorites Website Data." Uncheck, then delete browsing history as usual.

This worked for me after trying all sorts of solutions for about 1.5 hours. Although I didn't have any Favorites - I did have google.com set as startup page and IE10 must treat this as a Favorites even though it isn't listed in Favorites.  "Preserve Favorites Website Data" seems to override the "Delete Passwords" selection, therefore saving the login credentials for sites in Favorites folder OR a startup/homepage page. BTW I am pretty sure I never checked this box, so it must be checked by default upon installation.

Regards,

Roger

Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:46 AM