SharePoint 2007 Database Linking with SQL 2008 Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

My situation: I have running sharepoint 2007 application server with SQL 2005 databases both on different server.

Now our plan is to upgrade SQL 2005 database to SQL 2008 database.

Is there any way we can do it via changing the host file setting to point sharepoint 2007 application server to new sql 2008 server.

Any suggestion in these regards really help ful.

Thanks

Thursday, June 16, 2016 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hi RAJ927

You can use cliconfg.exe on SP servers to use SQL alias and point it to new server. In this case, SQL alias will be the name of your existing sql server.

http://habaneroconsulting.com/Insights/Creating-a-SQL-alias-for-SharePoint.aspx

Thanks
    Mohit

Thursday, June 16, 2016 2:17 PM
  • Thanks Mohit for your reply,

I checked for my SharePoint Server in Windows >System 32> Cliconfig.exe section.

Please explain i need to mention the new SQL server name here ? and do i need to remove the current database server? please explain...

Thanks for your help..

Thursday, June 16, 2016 3:01 PM
  • Hi RAJ927 

After opening cliconfg.exe, In the Add network library configuration section, put old sql server name in front of alias, and put new sql server name in the text box for server name. 

Here's a snap to help:

Thanks
    Mohit

Thursday, June 16, 2016 3:27 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. After this setting do i need to remove the old server(SQL 2005), i mean do i need to delete/detach it from all the webapplication, site collection?

Thursday, June 16, 2016 3:40 PM
  • No, you should not remove old sql server name from anywhere else in farm.

Thanks
    Mohit

Thursday, June 16, 2016 3:44 PM
  • Thanks Mohit for your help.

Just need your confirmation confirmation: Will doing this alias setting only , it will directly connect to SQL 2008 databases.. correct??

And one more question we are planning to take out SQL 2005 database so once i restored all the database and aliasing. I can take it (SQL 2005) turn off . Please confirm. 

Thanks again....

Thursday, June 16, 2016 3:54 PM
  • Hi RAJ927

Will doing this alias setting only , it will directly connect to SQL 2008 databases? (Yes, you should restart SP services after configuring alias).

we are planning to take out SQL 2005 database so once i restored all the database and aliasing. I can take it (SQL 2005) turn off. (yes, but after this, do thorough testing to make sure SP is working fine.)

Thanks
    Mohit

• Edited by mohit.goyal Thursday, June 16, 2016 4:40 PM
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 4:39 PM
  • Thanks Mohit for your reply. I set up alias as per your suggestion but when i am trying to connect the sharepoint management, i am getting a error that can not able to connect to configuration database.

I restored all the database from old sql server to new sql server.

Please suggests.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 3:20 PM
  • Hi RAJ927

Please check for permissions for service accounts at database and server level. Make sure that permissions are same as on SQL 2005 server.

Thanks
    Mohit

Friday, June 24, 2016 3:22 AM
  • Thanks mohit for your reply n suggesstion.

I am able to connect to SharePoint 2007 application server.

One thing i want to confirm, can i remove the old database server now?

Will it cause any impact or not?

Under server in farm : i still see the old database server name.

Friday, June 24, 2016 1:02 PM
  • Yes, you'll see old server name under manager servers in farm. From SP perspective, its still connecting to old server. In background, the connection gets redirected to new sql server using sql client. So you cannot remove it.

You can shut down the sql 2005 server though.

Thanks
    Mohit

• Edited by mohit.goyal Saturday, June 25, 2016 8:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by RAJ927 Monday, July 11, 2016 3:56 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by RAJ927 Tuesday, July 12, 2016 12:31 PM
    Saturday, June 25, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Thanks Mohit for all your help. Really helpful all of your suggestion.

I have one other question, Please help in this regards as well

When trying to access the site usage report from SharePoint Site Action >Site Settings>Site Usage report section

I am getting below message.

"No data is available for this report. Usage analysis might have been enabled only recently, or there might have been insufficient usage to result in any values for the report."

I already check in the central admin , all setting are configured , Please provide your suggestion in this matter as well.

Monday, July 11, 2016 3:53 PM
  • Hi RAJ927

I dont think this is due to SQL migration. Please check below links for more info on settings:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262541(v=office.12).aspx

https://sharepointops.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/problem-with-site-usage-report-no-data-is-available-for-this-report-usage-analysis-might-have-been-enabled-only-recently/

Thanks
    Mohit

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 2:15 PM
  • Hello Mohit,

Thanks for your answers. I am facing an issue with my Sharepoint 2007 application server.

When i search i faced issue it says "the search was unable to connect search services". I already restarted search services & also followed one article "http://spstop.blogspot.in/2009/11/search-service-is-currently-offline.html" but it didn't work. 

Any help from your end. 

Monday, January 23, 2017 12:20 PM
  • I am also facing issue "The search application for 'SharedServices1' on server "server name" is not provisioned. Confirm that the Windows SharePoint Services Timer service and Windows SharePoint Services Administration service are running on the server."
    Monday, January 23, 2017 12:37 PM